Auto Trans/front Diff Drain Plug Gasket

mikey00

I've changed our RX's Type T-IV transmission fluid by pulling these plugs and I believe that the metal crush gaskets on both of the plugs are identical. A Lexus tech gave me four new gaskets last November so I would have them for future T-IV changes and there were no indications from him that these gaskets couldn't be shared between the two plugs. I also believe that if your current gaskets are still in good shape, you can simply clean them and re-use them a couple of times.

I've changed our RX's Type T-IV transmission fluid by pulling these plugs and I believe that the metal crush gaskets on both of the plugs are identical.  A Lexus tech gave me four new gaskets last November so I would have them for future T-IV changes and there were no indications from him that these gaskets couldn't be shared between the two plugs.  I also believe that if your current gaskets are still in good shape, you can simply clean them and re-use them a couple of times.

The first time I changed the trans fluid I reused the gasket on the transmission pan drain plug. I could never get it to seal perfectly. The bottom of the pan was always slightly wet. About 10k later I did another drain and fill using a new drain plug gasket and it sealed good this time. Now 20K later, I have 2 more drain plug gaskets and some type T-IV and will do another drain and fill also using the front diff plug which I missed the first 2 times. I don't think anyone knows for sure the optimum cycle for RX trans drain and fill but anywhere from 15K to 30K looks right to me.