Follow Up To 9/18 "fire And Smoke"javascript:emot

tommy2tall

I took the sc400 to an engine shop with a good reputation. It has a blown head gasket for sure but it will take a lot of labor to find out more. $2100 in labor just to tear the engine down to find out what the underlying damage will be. The engine turns over but the mechanic thinks two cylinders have lost compression. He needs an approval from me to have a machine shop check the heads for warpage. If it's just the gasket it could cost $3000.

My wife said she had the fluid levels checked three weeks ago. She didn't notice the temp gauge rising when it happened. I expect the problem started with a sudden a failure in cooling system. (Pump or hose)

What would my list mates do?

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

TTT

Orininal Post:

Hi All-

My wife has a 1996 SC400 with 48K miles. Maintained by Lexus dealer until warranty expired in 2000. Never had a problem. Changed oil every 3000 miles since 2000.

Coming home from a party last night the engine lost power and blue smoke coming from engine compartment. Cruising at freeway speed we pulled off and called fire department. The check engine light was on and temp guage was maxed. Fire dept opened the hood and sprayed the engine. No actual flames. I had kept the hood closed so as not to let it ignite. Engine wouldn't re-start.

AAA towed it to our home. I noticed oil on the bed of the tow truck. Still coolant in the reservoir.

This morning I checked the oil level with the dipstick. Normal. No real damage by the smoke. Engine still would't start, although it turned over.

Do any of you have a suggestion as to what happened? I can't tow it to a mechanic until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, TTT