Trouble Starting

I have a '99 GS400 that has been having some trouble starting. After turning the key there is a "click", then nothing. After trying several times the starter will crank at what seems to be normal speed and the car starts.

The problem seems to happen most often after the car has been sitting for longer than a few minutes, but that is not always the case. The lights do not dim and I had the battery checked when this first started happening, so I'm not suspecting the battery, which is a little over a year old.

Since the problem is intermittent I am hesitant to take it to a shop. There has been times when the problem did not occur for several days.

Has anyone had a similar problem or does anyone have suggestions as to what the cause might be?

• 4 weeks later...

The problem was indeed the starter. I actually took it in to a Lexus dealer since I needed to have a separate issue looked at. The starter replacement ran $900, but luckily was covered under my extended warranty. For some odd reason the dealer has yet to reimburse me for the warranty coverage. The warranty company authorized the coverage almost two weeks ago!

It's a Lexus dealer: Scottsdale Lexus. I thought it was strange as well, but since they had my car for 5 days I agreed to have them charge my credit card and credit the reimbursement back to the card when they received payment from the warranty company. The other choice I was given was to leave it there another day.

As for why they had my car for 5 days ... well the first day the starter would always work, and only on the second day did it fail. The second day happend to be a Friday and at that point they realized they did not have the intake manifold gaskets. So it wasn't until the following Monday that they had the starter replaced.