Extended Warranty

SeanTX

Hi everyone - it's been a while since my last post, but my original warranty on my 2002 SC 430 is about to expire, and I've been wondering if I should purchase an extended warranty, either through Lexus or one of those outside vendors (the ones that mail me every week or so now). I have around 30k miles on the vehicle and purchased it preowned about a year ago with 15K miles.

I'm now living in NY (drove it up from Houston a few months ago), so there is quite a bit more wear and tear on the car going on, but I'm not sure how to deal with the warranty world.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Sean

I had an aftermarket 3yr/36000 mi warranty on my 93' SC400. I ended up breaking about even when, two years into it, they were forced to cover replacement of my "hydraulic pump to the cooling fan". The dealer only had like 3 in the US, and stating they had never even heard of those ever going bad. The warranty people gave me a little hassle over the repair at first because they said they didnt cover "hydraulic pumps to the cooling fan". I then had to break it down for them, pointing out that they did state that they covered ALL bearings. The bearing on the pulley wheel of the pump was the actual part going out, sounding like a nest of starving baby birds under my hood when at idle. The only way to purchase that bearing was to buy the whole unit. I think the part was like $1,100. They finally "caved-in" after two days. They are probably all going to be a pain in the @ss to deal with. The nature of the beast. Why'd you leave dude. Get too hot and sticky for ya down here!!

• 2 weeks later...