Strut Replacement: Serviceable Or Sealed?

66zoomie

I have a 94 ES300 and I want to replace the struts and mounts/bearings all around. I've talked with the KYB folks as well as Lexus technicians in an effort to find out whether my vehicle has "serviceable" struts - replaceable cartridges - or sealed struts - the whole strut must be replaced as one unit. The answer: "both types of struts were used on the 94-96 ES300s." The concensus answer seems to be that the only definite way to tell is to remove the struts from the vehicle! That makes it a tad difficult to order the replacements and have them on hand; otherwise the down time could extend to multiple weeks.

The VIN number is: JT8GK13T4R00658xx, mfg 06/94, and it was not a Special or Limited Edition. Does anyone have a contact number at Toyota/Lexus that I could query to see if production records can reveal whether the struts on my vehicle are sealed or serviceable?

[i did a search for "strut replacement" and went thru every post on 14 pages, but this question was never raised or discussed.]

You can lookup when your frame finished assembly.

http://toyota.mnc.ru/framno/longindex.html

Using mine as an example:

VCV10 0158887

November - December

0152363 - 0163278

So we know my 1993 ES 300 was probably in November/December of 1992.

Look your car up. If your car is in the last production run it will have sealed struts. (October 1994)

From the Toyota Nation Ultimate Camry FAQ:

Sealed

sealed.jpg

Serviceable

servicable.jpg

It doesn't matter what you use, either strut will bolt up. You might as well buy a new strut. It costs the same as buying a new cartridge.

The only differance in mounting is that the factory sealed struts have a bearing mount. Nothing changes about suspension geometry / mounting.

My vote is you buy brand new sealed struts. There's no reason to pay the same amount of money to wind up with half a strut that is over a decade old.

(Tho that is a testimate to the original design)

You can lookup when your frame finished assembly.

http://toyota.mnc.ru/framno/longindex.html

Using mine as an example:

VCV10  0158887

November - December

0152363 - 0163278

So we know my 1993 ES 300 was probably in November/December of 1992.

Look your car up. If your car is in the last production run it will have sealed struts. (October 1994)

From the Toyota Nation Ultimate Camry FAQ:

Sealed

sealed.jpg

Serviceable

servicable.jpg

It doesn't matter what you use, either strut will bolt up. You might as well buy a new strut. It costs the same as buying a new cartridge.

The only differance in mounting is that the factory sealed struts have a bearing mount. Nothing changes about suspension geometry / mounting.

My vote is you buy brand new sealed struts. There's no reason to pay the same amount of money to wind up with half a strut that is over a decade old.

(Tho that is a testimate to the original design)

Toysrme - I appreciate the info; the chassis matrix confirms the information I pulled off the door sticker, i.e. the car was produced in June 94. [MCV10 chassis, 65823; June production goes up to 69xxx beginning in July 94] How did you know that the end of the production run had sealed struts? I'm not questioning your statement: I just want to know how you arrived at it!! If sealed struts with new bearing mounts are interchangeable with the serviceable strut housings and new cartridges, I agree with you that it's best to go with new sealed struts to get the most new parts replacing used.

All the Camry plants swapped over in October 1994. The Tsutsumi assembly plant built the full Camry platform family during that time period:

ES, Windom, Sceptor, Camry, Vista.

So in the intrests of keeping the same parts bin, it's safe to reason the ES / Windom's swapped over at the same point the Camry's did. Doesn't make since to build a few practically identicle car lines, but swap parts out for no reason.