Stone Chips

I am considering purchasing a dark green 1999 ES300 with 85,000 miles for $11,000. One concern I have is that the hood has 3 or 4 very small stone chips which went through the paint and have started to rust. These chips are very small and the rust is minor.

Should I be concerned? Can I just put some sealant on it? How much will it cost to repair?

I am considering purchasing a dark green 1999 ES300 with 85,000 miles for $11,000.  One concern I have is that the hood has 3 or 4 very small stone chips which went through the paint and have started to rust.  These chips are very small and the rust is minor.

Should I be concerned?  Can I just put some sealant on it? How much will it cost to repair?

I'm sure someone here can give you an idea on the cost of repairing stone chips, it really is an easy DIY project that there are a few posts on as to the methodology.

One point I'd like to mention- sealing rust is never a good idea, when a paint surface is hot the 'plastic' paint and the polumer sealant expand exposing the paints surface micro fissures, water becomes a catalyst and a carrier system for the reactivated acid, which will spread until the water evaporates. This cycle repeats itself.

JohM