Ticking Noise Inside Cabin

Kara

hello fellow Lexus owners. I purchased my first Lexus, a 2001 RX300 in Crystal White, in January, and I am absolutely enamored with it :wub::wub: I have wanted one since they first came out in 1989. I can say I have become a loyal customer, and hope my next will be a brand new one.

Anyway, the car has suddenly developed a unusual ticking or popping noise in the cabin. It is very random and I cannot detect where it comes from. It is sometimes subtle, and sometimes loud. I may have narrowed it to the sunroof cover. It seems that when it is closed, the noise does not occur. But as soon as I open it, the noise occurs. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce it on demand, so the dealer hasn't heard it and doesn't know what it could be.

Anyway have the same experience??

Thanks,

Kara

Hi Kara,

Your not alone, my 2000 RX-300 is doing the same thing when the sunroof shade is open. Closing the shade causes the problem to disappear. Not sure what the problem is, however I will be watching this space to see if anyone has a cure. It's not a major problem just an annoyance considering that the vehicle otherwise is fantastic.

Thanks crash, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Have you done any research into it? Talked to the dealer? I know it is just an annoyance. I just have such high expectations of the car.

Hi...i just bought a 1999 rx300, 34k miles, golden pearl...I have the same clicking noise and just spoke to the dealer about it...i, too, believe it's coming from the sunroof plastic molding...the dealer said that they can take it apart and add a felt-like padding inside to stop it...you may want to discuss the same with your dealer...it is strange how the "click" is random and varies in loudness?!...hope this helps!...Rob

Rob,

When you say strange, do you mean that the clicking you hear in your RX is not random and does not vary in loudness?

Thanks for info. This is very helpful. I think I'd be nervous about them taking it apart. They might mess something else up.

I bought my car in January, and this noise did not start until last month (June). So maybe it is weather related.

Kara

Kara -- nothing strange on your end...i just find it odd that it clicks randomly and at different sound levels on my rx, too...i just bought mine, but it has clicked since i got it...not sure what it is...my dealer didn't seem too concerned about taking it apart and putting in the pads...it could be expansion related with heat and/or changes in inside versus outside temp...i keep car at 72 degress and outside temp is higher this time of year...good luck...Rob

Rob,

I'd be very interested to hear if the pad helps. If it does, I may ask the service people to contact your dealership's service to see exactly what they did for you.

I picked up my car on Saturday, and the service tech said something about the sunroof cover not being on a tread and that might cause it to make noise. I didn't really understand...he didn't offer a solution for it, but he did oil the sunroof tread, which did not make the problem go away.

When my car was in service, I had a '03 ES300 as a loaner. My husband was driving it and he said he heard the same noise. <_<

Thanks,

Kara

will do Kara...hey -- can i ask a favor...i'm trying to find the roof rack spacing for the rx300...mine tends to make some road noise...is there a chance you can measure the front distance of the front bar from the front part of the track...same for rear bar based on back of rear bar and back of rook track...from an old service bulletin, they say the front should be a 115mm and the rear at 32mm...can you check your measurements and let me know...your rack should ver very close to these measurements...thx...Rob

Kara,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. No, I haven't had a chance to research it yet, however I too will be interested in hearing what Rob finds out. I am going to be taking mine to the dealership soon for some minor issues and if we haven't learned anything by then I will share what I find out.

Price

Kara and Rob,

Did a little research and it seems this is quite a common problem on most Lexus vehicles with sunroof. I would suggest going to clublexus.com and do a search on sunroof noise, here is one of the posts that I found:

The popping noise is from the black trim on the sunroof glass. A technician needs to pop them all off and insulate them with a thin layer of felt. Then the noise will go away.

TEST - open your sunshade and gently twist/push/pull each piece of black trim. I'll bet you'll hear the pop noise when doing this!!!

Here's another posting:

The dealer made his 4th unsuccessful attempt at repair yesterday. A previous post on the Edmunds HL forum referenced a older Lexus bulletin # which the dealer performed but does not apply to this "newer" popping sound.

The only thing I know sure is that it is from the sunroof area and happens when the car is warm from sitting in sun and you get in and drive with the air on. Try this experiment: After car is warm, drive with air on and vents directed toward sunroof. Popping happens fairly quick. Try this again with vents directed away form sunroof. Popping still happens but takes much longer. Try it again with sunroof shade closed. No noise because cool air never reaches sunroof.

thx, crash...my service manager immediately diagnosed the sunroof and offered the felt as a solution...my RX goes in friday, so i'll see how it works...comforting to know that he seems to know what to do...this will be my first service trip...will keep you posted on how the felt works...Rob

Great information, crash! Thanks!! I will run those tests and hopefully be able to reproduce it for the service tech. The conditions that cause the symptoms sound right on...I suspected it was temperature related.

Rob, sorry to get back to you so late! I did do the measurements, but it is not what you expected....maybe that is good news?

I wasn't sure if I was measuring from the right spots. My measurements were 40 mm in the front (from where the groove in the track starts to the front tip of the front base), 45mm in the back (from where the groove in the track ends to the back tip of the rear base), and 210 mm apart (back tip of front base to front tip of rear base).

For reference, if you stand next to the vehicle on the driver side and look at the front bar base, the front tip of it aligns exactly with left edge of the rear passenger windshield. Does that make sense? Then, if you measure the back tip of the front base to the front tip of the rear base, it should measure 210mm.

Let me know if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...i'm sad to say that the pads didn't help...it still pops...the service mgr said that they took it off and applied some padding...when i got it the car and turned it on, it began immediately...i stopped and went back at the service manager...he said to bring it back again (argh) and they'll probably put on another black plastic frame and pads...well -- i'm pretty ticked...it takes 2 weeks to get an appt these days...will keep uou posted on my quest for a non-popping rx...Rob

That is a bummer <_< I will talk to my dealership about it soon. Before I knew what was causing the problem, they said they can do research in some national database for service issues. Now that we know the cause, maybe the search will be more effective.

And now that I know what is causing it and when to expect it, it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I guess I just think of my Lexus having a personality quirk during summer months :D

I get these surveys every now and then from Lexus. I will definately point this out.

I'll keep you posted...

I have the Same poping sound on my 2000 RX300. The dealer's diagnosis was relays..... it is indeed the Black trim in the heat.. You can reproduce the noise by pushing on trim pieces. I initially thought it was the sun roof closing relay and am glad to hear I am not alone.. I am waiting for results with the felt insertion answer to the problem

Thanks, Larry T

Just bought my 2000 RX300 and it started to tick yesterday. I immediately noticed it was from the sunroof area. Funny, but later on when I changed the direction of the air vents down instead of up.....it stopped! It's got something to do with the thermal expansion and contraction of the plastic when it's sunny and hot outside and have the AC on inside.

All of you out there, try what I did and direct your air vents down and away so that the cold AC air doesn't flow towards the sunroof glass. It worked for me, not that it's the best solution, but it's a solution none the less.

Any of you who have had good luck with dealer fixes...please post those too.

BTW, great forum.

Jeremy

I have a 2001 RX300 Silversport and have had the same problem for some time now. Mine happens regardless of the sunroof shade being opened or closed. Even tightened the luggage racks cause It sounded like wind buffeting something...

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing - and all this time we thought our RX300 had this quirky clicking problem with the sunroof and it was just us. I guess it's somewhat reassuring to hear that other's are experiencing the problem but not so reassuring to hear that no one has found a cure. We've had this problem for about a year and a half and have just gotten into the habit of opening the sunroof cover and pushing the offending piece until the clicking stops (for about 5 minutes).

It is fairly irritating, so if anyone finds a cure, let us know!

BTW - great site.

• 2 weeks later...