New Catalyst System Needed?

Hi everyone,

first post here!

I recently bought a '99 ES300 with 82k miles. After a few hundred miles the Check Engine and TracOff lights went on. Lexus dealer says the car needs a new cat system (code P0420 ... estimated $1000!!!) Isn't it a bit too early to replace it? Cat systems should somehow last longer?!

Thanks.

Not this early.

If it was blowing a lot of un-used gas into the cat, or someone was over-using all the types of cleaners then ya... You could clog, or burn one up.

If troubleshooting results in requiring a new cat:

Step 1

Do the ebay search HERE.

Make sure you're buying a real unit, and not a test pipe / straight through / resonator.

Step 2

Go to a reputable exhaust, or performance shop & have the new unit welded in.

They:

Unmount the old unit, saw the flanges off, weld them on (Hopefully lined up semi-correctly! hah!) & remount the unit.

OBD-II / CA emession cars have a post cat o2 sensor to make sure emessions equipment is working.

They'll have to take the o2 sensor out, grab an o2 exhaust bung, drill the nessecary hole, weld the bung on, now you can re-mount the o2 sensor.

Reset the ECU.

I'm not sure how much I would pay for that service... But I wouldn't pay a lot. Seriously, it doesn't take two hours to day, but labor will probably get ya. I'd say you can complete a cat saw for way under $300 if you supply the cat.

(stock piping size is 2 1/4" ID, a welding bead by itself will easily cover the gap from a 2 1/2" convertor)

Not this early.

If it was blowing a lot of un-used gas into the cat, or someone was over-using all the types of cleaners then ya... You could clog, or burn one up.

If troubleshooting results in requiring a new cat:

[...]

Thanks for your reply! I am the 2nd owner and I do not know about the habits of the previous one ... but I'll try to check whether unused gas goes into the cat. Any hint?

Perhaps you could be more specific about troubleshooting? Is there any way to make sure it really needs a new cat (beside reading OBD of course)? Thanks.