Idle Problem

Hello,

I have a 99 LS400 with 67K on it, the idle is very low the rpm reads 350-400 at times and other times 400-500 (on a good day) the kicker is when I turn the a/c on it always drops the rpm it never more than 400 in D.

also this maybe related when I am at a stand still I turn on the a/c something I would hear clicking on and off in the engine compartment for seconds I would shout off the a/c and turn in back on and its fine sounds like the compressor.

What bugs me is the a/c is nice and cold

Help please!!!!! Any ideas.....

Thanks

:ph34r:

Hello,

I have a 99 LS400 with 67K on it, the idle is very low the rpm reads 350-400 at times and other times 400-500 (on a good day) the kicker is when I turn the a/c on it always drops the rpm it never more than 400 in D.

also this maybe related when I am at a stand still I turn on the a/c something I would hear clicking on and off in the engine compartment for seconds I would shout off the a/c and turn in back on and its fine sounds like the compressor.

Thanks

I had the problem for a while. It would appear when the car is warm. Or when i start the car for the second time in a 2 hour period. But after a series of things i did, it never came back again (knock on wood). Im not sure which of the things that I did took care of the problem. I changed the Air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and cleaned the throttle body with a carb cleaner (Be VERY careful when cleaning your maf.)

Give us more detail when this happens. does it happen when you first start your LS for the first time during the day? If it does, then you might have a vacum problem. NOTE: In order to clean the MAF, you have to remove a few vacum hoses, and re-install them again. One of mine could have been loose the first time, and caused this.

What is the deal with the MAF? Did you also get more hp when you cleaned it? Quicker reaction to the peddle?

Also when you clean what is to be careful about? I am going to do this when I get home from the islands..

Cheers to LEXUS and good luck with the idle.

Hello,

Thanks

I had the problem for a while. It would appear when the car is warm. Or when i start the car for the second time in a 2 hour period. But after a series of things i did, it never came back again (knock on wood). Im not sure which of the things that I did took care of the problem. I changed the Air filter, cleaned my MAF sensor, and cleaned the throttle body with a carb cleaner (Be VERY careful when cleaning your maf.)

Give us more detail when this happens. does it happen when you first start your LS for the first time during the day? If it does, then you might have a vacum problem. NOTE: In order to clean the MAF, you have to remove a few vacum hoses, and re-install them again. One of mine could have been loose the first time, and caused this.

Hi Thanks for the reply!

this problem with the Idle is there all the time hot cold morning night

Hello,

Thanks

Hi Thanks for the reply!

this problem with the Idle is there all the time hot cold morning night

If it idle lows, even when you just started the car in the morning, then I can almost guarantee that you have a vacuum problem. Also, change your PCV valve while your at it, and check for punctured hoses. I'll post if anything else comes to mind.

What is the deal with the MAF? Did you also get more hp when you cleaned it? Quicker reaction to the peddle?

Also when you clean what is to be careful about? I am going to do this when I get home from the islands..

Cheers to LEXUS and good luck with the idle.

Well, I didn’t personally have any problems, nor can I verify that it was done correctly by this one guy with a first gen on CL claimed it killed his MAF (im sure he's telling the truth, but I dont know what he exactly did).

That’s why I’m saying be careful, kind of like, JUST IN CASE type of thing. Since I don’t know if the guy who said it messed up his MAF actually did it correctly, i just like to advise people to be careful and gentle on the MAF, until I get a straight answer. He said that after he did the steps, his check engine and traction control light came on, and the car was running sluggish. He said he was going to have it checked out and never got back to us.

This is exactly what happened to me when I forgot to plug in my maf. My check engine and VSC light came on. Then I noticed the engine does not turn over like usual. So I immediately remembered that I Didn’t plug it in, and when I did, the warning lights went off.

And yes, when I cleaned it, I got a serious increase in proformance I've lost.