Help With Purchase Of 1991 Ls 400

Tom Lawson

Hello,

I live in Columbus Ohio and there is a 1991 LS 400 for sale with the color combination that I like. The milage is 115, 000, unknow if timing belt done.

Could you please tell me what general maintenance should be done at 115,000 and what the total average price would be. The asking price is 6900.00.

Best Wishes

Tom Lawson

Sounds like a used car dealer is selling the car for an average price but that it has few or no written service records. So mechanically the car could be in worse than average condition The cars' past service history is what counts, not it's current servicing needs because it's way too late to avoid the mechanical consequences of 15 years of spotty preventive maintenance. This website http://www.lexls.com/ details service requirements and do-it-yourself tutorials.

$6,900.00 sounds a little to high! It is about 2K over what you should be paying. If you call the local Lexus dealer with the VIN # and ask what service is due that might be able to give you some history as it is stored in a computer I think for all dealers. I have a 91 that I purchase 2 years ago for 5K, it had 140K on it and now has 205K. It will be needing some work soon. Normally on the timing belt there is a little sticker on the left side when the hood is open that should tell you when the belt was replaced.