Wheel Shaking

techbiz

My RX330 has less than 9,000 miles - I have experienced wheel shaking a few times since 5,000 miles - the first time the dealer "fixed" it via replacing brake pads, etc - that time the shaking occured as I stepped on the brake lightly.

But the problem occured again recently. Basically I went rather stable at around 75mph and after 10-15 miles the shaking will gradually start and increase in magnitude, to a point where it was so rapid that I had to pull over. Totally not related to the braking this time. I waited for 30 seconds or so and started again, and the shaking went away.

WIll this be as simple as tire balance? Or something more serious w/ the transmission, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Your issue could be resulting from several different problems, and unbalanced tires is certainly one of them.

The first thing to do, however, is to torque your lug nuts and ensure that they are properly tight. Check all four wheels. This is a serious safety issue - you don't want your wheels coming off while you're doing 75 mph on the freeway.

After you've tightened your lug nuts, suspicions turn to unbalanced tires, tires with flat spots, bent wheels, and then to your axles and suspension components. Check each potential problem out thoroughly and let us know what you come up with.

Were the tires rotated at 5000 miles? If so, the shop might have overtightened the wheel lug nuts which can cause the rotors to warp and vibrate while braking. Another cause of vibration while braking is the owner braked hard and abruptly during the first 200 miles when the car was new instead of gently and gradually

Vibration without braking is more serious because it's potential a safety issue rather than just an annoyance. Example: one cause of vibration at speed without braking is a tire that's developing internal problems such as a bubble and may blow out suddenly causing loss of vehicle control. Another cause of vibration without braking is insufficiently tightened wheel lug nuts that are working loose. In any case, I'd get the vibration investigated and cured ASAP.