New Owner Of 02 Lx470 And Wondering

NewLXowner

Hello fellows,

I am new to this forum and was just going through some of the posts. It seems like a pretty active forum.

I just bought a 2002 LX470. Looks good and drives pretty good too. But here is my problem. With a 4.7lit engine inside, the car seems to be dragging a bit. So driving on the highway, at the speed of about 70mph, the rpm shows about 2750 to 3000 rpm. This is kind of strange because normally inother cars that I have, the rpm runs close to 2000 rpm at this speed. I used to have an expedition and also have a cadillac and both of those vehicles behaves pretty much the same.

Is it what you see as well i.e. high rpm at the average highway speed? If not then do I need to look into it? The average mpg on the highway is about 13 to 13.4 mpg. This seems very low for a 4.7 lit engine. Expedition with a 5.4 lit engine was doing 18 to 19 mpg.

Any help will be great.

Ali

I'm of the opinion that its just geared that way. Has a lot of emphasis on being a very capable offroad vehicle, and that's how its tuned. Its obviously designed to be a very quiet and comfortable highway vehicle also, but you cannot be all things simultaneously.

I have a new (to me) '99 and I see about the same RPM. I wish the OD would be a bit greater to lower the RPM and the huge sucking sound that the fuel makes pouring outta my wallet!

If this is your first Asian car then you need to get used to the fact the engine is designed to be comfortable spinning at higher RPM's than American cars. Despite the higher RPM, the Asian car motors are twice as durable as American car motors and have been for 30 years.

Example: Look at this ad: http://www.craigslist.org/pen/car/82651627.html. The 1974 Toyota Pickup's engine is geared to scream at 3800 RPM @ 70 MPH yet after 482,000 miles it still runs good with it's original crankshaft, pistons and piston rings. A valve job was needed at 376,000 miles, but that's it.

If your former Expedition got 18 MPG on the highway then it must have been a two wheel drive model. Four wheel drive eats 3-4 MPG. The only 4WD or All Wheel Drive large SUV's that get 18 MPG highway are V6 models like the Honda Pilot and RX330

• 2 weeks later...