Xenon Failure Intermittently

ls400 mk iv

Hi All,

I am a newby to lexus owners, and recently purchased a ls430, and only notice today that ONLY the driverside xenon light keeps switching itself off while the passenger side is still on. This is when lights are on manually not auto at night. With the lights switched on, the light seem to switch off after about 3 - 5 min and then back on at a later time. This seems to cycle from on to off repeatedly (although the passenger xenon is on all the time).

Has anyone seen this problem before? Your help is needed urgently.

Hi All,

I am a newby to lexus owners, and recently purchased a ls430, and only notice today that ONLY the driverside xenon light keeps switching itself off while the passenger side is still on. This is when lights are on manually not auto at night. With the lights switched on, the light seem to switch off after about 3 - 5 min and then back on at a later time.  This seems to cycle from on to off repeatedly (although the passenger xenon is on all the time).

You might want to check your connections. But sounds like a ballast type of problem, not very common.

Thanks for the quick response! Is there anything particular or just make sure all connections are tight?

Hi All,

I am a newby to lexus owners, and recently purchased a ls430, and only notice today that ONLY the driverside xenon light keeps switching itself off while the passenger side is still on. This is when lights are on manually not auto at night. With the lights switched on, the light seem to switch off after about 3 - 5 min and then back on at a later time.  This seems to cycle from on to off repeatedly (although the passenger xenon is on all the time).

You might want to check your connections. But sounds like a ballast type of problem, not very common.

The ballast is the little silver box.

DSC00234_001.sized.jpg

If there is somethign wrong in there it will need to be completely replaced. Fell around for it you should come across it.

I am not sure what year your LS430 is but here is the headlight assembly off an 05. You can see the ballast on the bottom.

fb_1_sbl.JPG

I hope this helps!

Great ED,

My car is 2001, i think i will need to take the headlamp out to inspect the xenon unit, as there is no space to work on it connected. Your picture has given me an idea of where the xenon unit is located.

Do you know whats the easiest way to remove headlamp safely - without breaking anything?

Great ED,

My car is 2001, i think i will need to take the headlamp out to inspect the xenon unit, as there is no space to work on it connected.  Your picture has given me an idea of where the xenon unit is located. 

Do you know whats the easiest way to remove headlamp safely - without breaking anything?

The should be some visable bolts. Shouldnt be hard since the 2001 LS is a once peice headlight. The ballast is on the buttom of the unit. But make sure the connections FROM the ballast and your cars wiring harness are clean, and plugged in correctly.