Lights Not Working Properly

Ok Guys, I looked through the post and could not quite find the problem I am having..... I have a 99 GS400 and just recently I had my alternator changed. I doubt that this has anything to do with my problem but here it is

A couple of days ago. When I turn my headlights on I only get the driver side light to come on. The other side HID light will not come on. I looked at the bulb inside but i can't tell if it is blown are not...It has a blue/black looking ball inside of it. is this supposed to be clear or is that ok?

The Second problem. It seems that now when I do turn the Lights on even the driver side headlight does not want to turn on. I turn that switch several times and only the fog light will come on. Sometimes the running lights won't turn on either. if I just cut the lights all the way off and then just let it sit for a couple of seconds and then try it again the lihts will will work...except for the passanger side.

Is there some sort of relay/circuit in the turn signal/headlight turn on control on the steering column?

How can you tell if the HID bulbs are blown...are they supposed to be clear/white round ball in the center of the hid buld or is it supposed to be blue/black. I have the DR2

I really could use some help on this one.I am so desperate if anyone knows what it maybe my number is 9196069111 and my name is Olanda. I need to get this resolved.THANKS!!!

the inside of the headlight bulb is filled with gas and yes...i think it is supposed to be clear.  if it has any blackness to it then its blown.

Do you have any idea of why my lights will not turn on unless I turn the switch several times. I used to be able to just turn the light switch to ON and they would come on with no problems. Any suggestions on what I can try to solve that problem??. Could it be that since one light bulb blew it causes the rest of the lights to act funny..not turn on when the light switch is on

Sounds like the ballasts are going out! Much like a flourescent ligh, you have to turn the switch on and off many times to get it to work, before it finally quits working all together. You can swap the light from side to side to check the bulbs. The ballast can be damaged by low voltages or high voltages (hence alternator going bad). <_<

the inside of the headlight bulb is filled with gas and yes...i think it is supposed to be clear.  if it has any blackness to it then its blown.

Do you have any idea of why my lights will not turn on unless I turn the switch several times. I used to be able to just turn the light switch to ON and they would come on with no problems. Any suggestions on what I can try to solve that problem??. Could it be that since one light bulb blew it causes the rest of the lights to act funny..not turn on when the light switch is on

could be exactly as turbogs300 said...ballasts could be burning out....

your bulb could be fried tho. when i had to replace my bulbs, same thing would happen....i would start the car and it would look fine, and then it would slowly start to die out, eventually dying and then not being able to turn back on.

i would suggest going to www.xenondepot.com and ordering a new set of bulbs, and maybe ballasts as well if you have the money...i think the ballasts are like 130USD or something like that.

if you do replace the headlight bulbs, replace both sides at the same timem, otherwise it looks bad

could be exactly as turbogs300 said...ballasts could be burning out....

your bulb could be fried tho. when i had to replace my bulbs, same thing would happen....i would start the car and it would look fine, and then it would slowly start to die out, eventually dying and then not being able to turn back on.

i would suggest going to www.xenondepot.com and ordering a new set of bulbs, and maybe ballasts as well if you have the money...i think the ballasts are like 130USD or something like that.

if you do replace the headlight bulbs, replace both sides at the same timem, otherwise it looks bad

Thanks alot GUYS, I have purchased to OEM lights that were made by Phillips.Just like the ones I took out. I will replace both bulbs.I will check on this ballast and change it also...Once again THANKS ALOT!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys, I got the new light bulbs but the passanger side still did not work. I now assume that the ballast needs to be replace. I will buy 2 new ballst and replace those also. I did a search on headlight replacement but did not find the info I needed. If someone has done this are know how to replace the ballast I would greatly appreciate it. if there is anyone in the Northern VA,MD or RaleighNC area that has done this on a 99GS400 I would be willing to pay for the sevice.I know it can't be as expensive as going to the dealer. Either way I really need to get it done. Anybody willing to do the job or give me the procedures for it.Thanks