1999 Gs400 Engine Stalling

Need your opinions: Just purchased 1999 GS400 with 60,000 miles about a week ago. Last week the car stalled at a traffic light ... didn't think much of it. Thought it might be a fluke. Then it happened again. Took car back to dlr cause still have about 500 miles left under warranty.

Got a call from service tech... said it needed a throttle body or something like that. I never heard of that before, but it regulates gasoline flow? Any way my question is if this seems normal? By the way cost for the repair would be $1,150, but I reminded him car was still under warranty. So they will order part and put it in.

I am wondering if they just grabbed at something because maybe they could not duplicate the engine stalling? Have you any experience with this type of problem?

Please advise... appreciate it very much,

Thanx :)

Throttle body more than likely IS the problem, the TPS or IAC may be bad on it. <_<

this is a common problem with the GS

some have put their car in drive and adjusted the throttle cable

others clean their TB

some just reset the ECU ...just unplug the neg termnal for like 15 min.

but thats very good that they are taking car e of it

Throttle body more than likely IS the problem, the TPS or IAC may be bad on it. <_<

this is a common problem with the GS

some have put their car in drive and adjusted the throttle cable

others clean their TB

some just reset the ECU ...just unplug the neg termnal for like 15 min.

but thats very good that they are taking car e of it

JP Agent,

I see, but can you explain ECU and the throttle cable technique?

Thanx,

I dont know anything about the throttle cable adjusting,but to reset your ecu just pull the neg. battery cable off.After about 15min. put it back on and your good to go.I doubt this will help your prob. though I also had a very similiar problem and it was very intermittent so it was hard to diagnose it only seemed to happen when it was pretty hot out.From the research I did it seemed it was likely the TPS(throttle positioning sensor).I cleaned my throttle body out and it hasnt happened since.Its only been a month though so only time will tell.

As previously stated, it will more than likely be the throttle body and pulley assembly. Mine did the same thing (I have a 99 GS4) and to repair/replace it the cost WOULD have been $1500. Luckily I had a warranty...(smile)

Btw what do you mean by stalled?Mine was more like a miss and you could hear it.

There was no noise, the motor just stopped running. I could start it without any problems, and continue. It only happened twice within one week so I didn't have a lot of experience with this. I was already stopped in both cases at a traffic light.

So how was your problem resolved?

Please let us know what the prob turns out to be.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. The dealeship replaced the throttle body and the assembly that goes with it. I don't know anything about where it is located because I would like to see where it goes on the engine. I'll look at the engine tomorrow to see if I can determine anything.

I have driven the car about 36 miles since the replacement and so far I have noticed the slight hesitation when it used to decellerate is gone and also no stalling at traffic lights (although that only happened twice before I took it back to the dealership).

I guess the next thing I'll have to watch out for will be the timing belt, besides routine oil change.

Thanks again, you guys are right on the money.

:D :D

Peace,