A/c Gone Bad

cleverdick

A terrible thing has just happened. The other day, the blower motor started to shake really violently. I'm still not sure why, but after removing it from the heater assembly (with great difficulty), dismantling/lubricating the bearings and cleaning the commutator, it now runs smoothly again. The problem is, all the R-12 gas escaped just afterwards. At first I thought that was just a coincidence and paid £75 for a re-gas with an R-12 equivalent. It was ICE cold - and I thought: 'Wow - this is fantastic!' An hour later, guess what - no cold air! :( Now, the guy assured me that the system held a vacuum, and that otherwise he wouldn't have put any gas in. But there is obviously a leak somewhere, and I'm worried that the shaking from the fan has fractured a pipe on the evaporator or something. I've ordered some 2121 Stop Leak Plus which I hope will do the trick. I'm also hoping the a/c guy will take pity on me and do a recharge for free. Somehow I doubt it though.

Has anyone else had this specific problem?

:cries:

A terrible thing has just happened.  The other day, the blower motor started to shake really violently.  I'm still not sure why, but after removing it from the heater assembly (with great difficulty), dismantling/lubricating the bearings and cleaning the commutator, it now runs smoothly again.  The problem is, all the R-12 gas escaped just afterwards.  At first I thought that was just a coincidence and paid £75 for a re-gas with an R-12 equivalent.  It was ICE cold - and I thought: 'Wow - this is fantastic!'  An hour later, guess what - no cold air!  :(  Now, the guy assured me that the system held a vacuum, and that otherwise he wouldn't have put any gas in.  But there is obviously a leak somewhere, and I'm worried that the shaking from the fan has fractured a pipe on the evaporator or something.  I've ordered some 2121 Stop Leak Plus which I hope will do the trick.  I'm also hoping the a/c guy will take pity on me and do a recharge for free.  Somehow I doubt it though. 

Has anyone else had this specific problem?

:cries:

Did you remove the evaporator in the process of cleaning the blower fan? If so, the o-ring seals are the likely culprit. If not, were there caps on all three fittings (two on low side, one on high side) on ths AC system? Did the tech who charged the system replace the caps? My system went dry a few years back. I was told the compressor was toast. Two years later, charged the system on a whim, and it worked fine, still does. Only thing we could figure is that it leaked out thru the uncapped valves! As for the tech who diagnosed the bad compressor....

Did you remove the evaporator in the process of cleaning the blower fan? If so, the o-ring seals are the likely culprit. If not, were there caps on all three fittings (two on low side, one on high side) on ths AC system? Did the tech who charged the system replace the caps?...

Hi,

No, I didn't take out the evaporator - the blower fan just drops right out from underneath - once you've disconnected the linkage and moved all the wires out of the way of course! Not easy! As for the valve caps - both of the ones by the trans fluid tube are on - haven't looked for any others! As you say, hopefully it's just a seal or something.

Thanks for your reply...

• 1 year later...