Adjusting Seat Height

okwills

My 2000 LS 400 is near perfect - I love it! Perfection would be a seat height lowered by about 1". I'm very tall (6'4") and my sitting height is just a bit too much even with the electric rack adjustment at its lowest setting and seat-tilt at a comfortable angle. Believe me, I’ve tried every possible combination - the roof is just a bit too low!

I suspect the added roof thickness from the Moon Roof reduces the net headroom, leaving me in a permanent crouch while driving. Alas! I fear there is likely no reasonable solution to my problem. Any suggestions? Anyone aware of a seat modification that could increase headroom just a bit? Aftermarket seats?

Thanks for any and all help!

Welcome okwills!! ;)

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot us tall drivers can do(I'm also 6'4). There's a Lexus mechanic in Dallas that is willing to do seat position modification work. I spoke to him about moving my seat back about 5"-6", and he is fine with doing this work. I've also heard of some people getting upholsterers to remove some of the padding in the bottom seat cushion. I find that the legroom is more of a problem(I guess I have longer legs with a shorter torso.) than the headroom...my hair just clears the roof by micrometers. If push comes to shove and you just can't take it any more, sell the LS and buy a '00+ MB Sclass. The driver space in that line-up is just remarkable.

Welcome okwills!!  ;)

Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot us tall drivers can do(I'm also 6'4). There's a Lexus mechanic in Dallas that is willing to do seat position modification work. I spoke to him about moving my seat back about 5"-6", and he is fine with doing this work. I've also heard of some people getting upholsterers to remove some of the padding in the bottom seat cushion. I find that the legroom is more of a problem(I guess I have longer legs with a shorter torso.) than the headroom...my hair just clears the roof by micrometers. If push comes to shove and you just can't take it any more, sell the LS and buy a '00+ MB Sclass. The driver space in that line-up is just remarkable.

Thanks Blake! It IS comforting to know I have a kindred spirit suffering a similar plight. Shorter drivers just don't understand how annoying cabin-clearances can be, especially on long trips. I suspect your legroom problem is lot tougher nut to crack than my headroom issue.

Prior to buying the LS I did test-drive an '01 E-Class MB. Rode like a tank compared to the Lexus, I was concerned about maintenance costs, and it was a bit more pricey. But, Geez! The interior was CAVERNOUS! Felt like I was in an SUV.

Say, are the specs on the LS 430 different than the 400 as to driver head/leg room? Will the 2007 LS 460s be any better?

Thanks again, my friend!

Thanks Blake!  It IS comforting to know I have a kindred spirit suffering a similar plight. Shorter drivers just don't understand how annoying cabin-clearances can be, especially on long trips. I suspect your legroom problem is lot tougher nut to crack than my headroom issue.

Cheers to that!! :cheers: Everyone I know makes fun of me because I like big, "old man" type cars. I relate it to them by saying it's like having a designer piece of clothes, but it's just too small. Then, they see my pov! I did find a temp solution to my legroom problem on the hwy. I wear flip flops or loafers so that I can slip them off/on easily, engage cruise control, and slip my right foot between the gas and brake for 100's of miles of comfortable driving.

Prior to buying the LS I did test-drive an '01 E-Class MB.  Rode like a tank compared to the Lexus, I was concerned about maintenance costs, and it was a bit more pricey.  But, Geez!  The interior was CAVERNOUS!  Felt like I was in an SUV.

MB is where I'm going to be shopping in a few years. I drove a '03 S430 the other day. I thought I had died and gone to heaven....it's more comfortable than our Suburban. Ample had and legroom for a 6'4" guy like myself, and that 3 pointed star leading the way was just cool. I've always loved the tank like ride of MB too! I'll keep my LS too for when the S is in the shop! lol

Say, are the specs on the LS 430 different than the 400 as to driver head/leg room?  Will the 2007 LS 460s be any better?

Thanks again, my friend!

I drove a '05 LS430 when I drove the MB. The LS430 is very, very similar in dimensions to the LS400 from what I felt. This is just how it felt to me, I noticed maybe an extra inch in head and legroom. Not worth the trouble of trading, imo. Lexus claims really impressive dimensions for the LS430, but they aren't as spectacular in person. I made a thread in the gen. discussion about the differences in manuf. claimed dimensions. I was told by several that the dimensions they provide are hogwash, and from my experience, they are correct. Ex. the S class has 39" of legroom and the LS430 has 44". Now, with the seat all the way back in a S class, I can't reach the pedal whereas in the LS430 I could use some more seat travel as my legs are still bent. Smart Access in the LS is to die for though! I don't know what the new LS is going to be like.