Custom Wheels On Rx400h?

I just bought a RX400h and I would like to get it "pimped," with 20 inch rims... however, I don't know if that's possible and/or recommended. Does anyone know if there is some reason why the wheels cannot be changed? What would happen if they were (other than some slight inaccuracies in the speedometer, trip computer, etc.)? Everyone seems to be putting huge wheels on cars... so why would a hybrid be so different? I'm very confused. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

I just bought a RX400h and I would like to get it "pimped," with 20 inch rims... however, I don't know if that's possible and/or recommended.  Does anyone know if there is some reason why the wheels cannot be changed?  What would happen if they were (other than some slight inaccuracies in the speedometer, trip computer, etc.)?  Everyone seems to be putting huge wheels on cars... so why would a hybrid be so different?  I'm very confused.  Can anyone help clear this up for me?

The 400h wheels were designed for the higher torque and weight over the Rx330. I'm sure if you got 20's that were rated to carry a vechicle heavier than 4500 lbs and if they were "performance", in other words made for the harsher torque environment of racing... then you should be fine.

Always, and I mean always, go for the tire/rim combination that results in the same overall diameter as your stock setup. This avoids putting undue strain on your drivetrain (warrantee issues here?) and will keep your speedometer, computer, and most importantly your stabiliity control functions well within normal operating perameters.

go nuts! :cheers:

Look at the suspension at the rear, the distance between the top of the tire tread and the bottom of the spring plate. Now look at the minimum distance between the tire sidewall and the strut.

I installed 1.5" wheel spacers (all around) on my 2001 AWD and upgraded to 17X8 wheels. The spacers are there primarily to allow me to use snowchains at the rear during adverse roadbed conditions but alos provide enough clearance for the 8" wheels and tires.

Thanks for the info.  I was thinking the same thing.  I also wondered if changing the wheels would nullify my warranty.  Does anyone have the answer to that question?

:( I would check first, as it's an insurance issue in the UK.

• 1 month later...
I just bought a RX400h and I would like to get it "pimped," with 20 inch rims... however, I don't know if that's possible and/or recommended.  Does anyone know if there is some reason why the wheels cannot be changed?  What would happen if they were (other than some slight inaccuracies in the speedometer, trip computer, etc.)?  Everyone seems to be putting huge wheels on cars... so why would a hybrid be so different?  I'm very confused.  Can anyone help clear this up for me?

starxd...Have you done any pimping to your ride???

My brother has a black 400h. He doesn't like the chrome trim, especially the tail lights.

Thanks...