Looking to purchase 1999 Rx-300

scokelly

I am in the US (Atlanta GA area) and I am looking to purchase a used RX-300, 1999 model.

If anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

I had a few questions:

1) I want a white one. Why do some have gold trim but most have silver? Any other car differences other than the color of the emblem?

2) From a reliability standpoint is the 2WD better than AWD? I never go "off-road" - should I avoid AWD?

3) "Sludge prompt"...is there a definitive way to tell if a car has the problem?

4) What typically goes wrong with the cars? What should I look for when I am checking out a car? I was going to have a Lexus dealer do their checkout on the car anyway.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott

Yesterday I purchased a new RX 300 at Kendal Lexus of Miami. I completed most of the activity on-line and was very happy with the outcome. I had also looked at used vehicles. The rather hi end mix of south Florida life styles has enabled the 5 dealers in the area to accumulate an abundance of both new and used RX300's. If you don't find something locally you may want to contact Joaquin T. Azar and NiNi Garcia. They are the internet sales team for Lexus of Kendal. They had over 25 new RX300's and at least 15 used in stock, including some 99's.

As I live in the Keys (130 miles from a dealer), Joaquin offered to have a new RX300 delivered to my house with included paperwork.. If I liked it I was to complete the forms and mail them back with a check. I elected to drive up to Miami because I was also looking at the Toyota Sequoia and wanted to do a comparison.

Here are their email addresses and the Kendal web site:

http://www.lexusofkendall.com/index.html

azar@lexusofkendall.com

nini@lexusofkendall.com

Jim

An Old Parrot Head

In the Conch Republic,

Just South of Reality

Scott

I am so happy about my new RX300 I forgot to answer your questions....

To your questions:

1.The logo's come in silver, gold & black. The default is silver, the others are optional. Quite a few people actually take the logo's off, you get a simple but effective custom look.

2.The 2wd will get you a better mileage and has less parts. The 4wd(actually all wheel drive) will be better on ice and snow, something I will never need.

3.There are TSB's that address the problem. You need to ask the dealer about each RX individually. They should have the service record. Follow this link and you can get a list of the TSB's for any yr/make/model. http://www.alldata.com/TSB/yr.html

4.Like any used vehicle, look at the finish and fit, if it looks beat on the outside??? Also, if you go to a dealer ask about and get a CPO certified RX.

Jim

An Old Parrot Head

In the Conch Republic,

Just South of Reality

Jim,

Glad you found your car. I'll check out those web sites and see if they have what I am looking for.

I have just finished relocating my office (should actually finish today and tomorrow) so I plan to look for an RX in earnest this week and next.

My birthday is Aug-20th so I told my wife to find me a car!!

Thanks,

Scott

• 1 month later...