Sunroof Problem

Well, we finally got our 400h last Friday, June 3. I put down the deposit in January. Went in for a test drive about a month ago, and ordered the silver with RSES. Our salesman estimated a couple months for delivery, but he called a couple weeks ago and told us it was on the boat... and finally we took delivery last Friday! :D

Totally happy with it so far... too early to get any mileage numbers though (I've just been fooling around with driving styles entertaining myself with the HSD system). I'm not too concerned though because I'm not expecting Honda Civic mileage anyway.

I am confused by the sunroof operation however! We also have an '02 LS430, and I was expecting the sunroof to operate the same way; indeed the controls look identical. On our LS: there is a low rocker switch labeled "slide" and an inset toggle swith labeled "tilt." Both have a "one touch" functionality, where to either open or close it's just a simple press, and it starts opening/closing automatically.

On the new 400h, the controls look the same, but the "one touch" doesn't work! The switch has to be held to keep the sun/moonroof opening. But here's the real "kicker"... when closing, the movement DOESN'T STOP. i.e. It starts to open up to the "tilt" mode!! This ALSO happens with the "tilt" switch: when closing from an open tilt position, it does not stop when closed, but startes to SLIDE OPEN. WtF!!??!! This can't be proper; it makes closing nearly impossible because of the constant motion.. it only is fully closed for a split second before it starts to open the other way (there is no pause or anything!) I looked at the owners manual, and it describes the "auto" operation just like our LS430.

The other thing I noticed, is that the "convenience" auto opening/closing feature with the key/remote will NOT close/open the sunroof; it only opens/closes the windows (also not like the OM describes)

Has anyone else had this experience? Is this the way they all operate? Is it particular to the 400h in any way? I'm hoping it's only a dealer "programmable" function and can be fixed!

:(

same thing happened to me. Take it back to the dealer and they will fix it. It took 5 minutes. I think it is set up for the Highlander and not the RX. As for the moonroof opening with the key fob, that is a Lexus Personlize setting.

Hope it is minor, let us know.

Please let us know if you can still view a dvd in the fron by having the car in park, emergency brake on and hitting the AUX button twice.

Would appreciate that information.

Please let us know if you can still view a dvd in the fron by having the car in park, emergency brake on and hitting the AUX button twice.

Well, I can't believe it was that simple!

I was at the dealer yesterday getting the LS serviced and I asked my SA about the RX400h sunroof problem. He said the sunroof had not been "initialized" and it was a minor annoyance that was a simple fix I could do myself. I couldn't believe it was this simple:

1. Open the sunroof via the "slide" switch.

2. Press and HOLD the slide switch in the "close" position until the sunroof stops moving. It will go through the following "initialization" sequence: Slide close; tilt open; tilt close; slide open again; slide close; stop. That's it!

It works perfectly now with the "auto" open/close working properly on both switches. Also, the remote/key auto open feature works from outside the car with both the sunroof and windows like it's supposed to. I wish all problems were this easy to fix!

As for the RSES/DVD question... I did see your other post on the subject. Honestly, I haven't even had time to check out this system yet at all. I wasn't even aware that the DVD picture would work on the front console screen; that would be really cool. I will report soon on what I discover when I have time to fool around with it in the next couple days; I'll post on your original thread.

:)

• 1 year later...

Well, I can't believe it was that simple!

I was at the dealer yesterday getting the LS serviced and I asked my SA about the RX400h sunroof problem. He said the sunroof had not been "initialized" and it was a minor annoyance that was a simple fix I could do myself. I couldn't believe it was this simple:

1. Open the sunroof via the "slide" switch.

2. Press and HOLD the slide switch in the "close" position until the sunroof stops moving. It will go through the following "initialization" sequence: Slide close; tilt open; tilt close; slide open again; slide close; stop. That's it!

It works perfectly now with the "auto" open/close working properly on both switches. Also, the remote/key auto open feature works from outside the car with both the sunroof and windows like it's supposed to. I wish all problems were this easy to fix!

As for the RSES/DVD question... I did see your other post on the subject. Honestly, I haven't even had time to check out this system yet at all. I wasn't even aware that the DVD picture would work on the front console screen; that would be really cool. I will report soon on what I discover when I have time to fool around with it in the next couple days; I'll post on your original thread.

:)

:cheers: Is this forum good or is this forum good. I was going to call my dealer to complain and saw this post. Went immediately out and lo and behold... it does work. :cheers:

Sometimes it really is worth the time to exchange info and I've seen some good stuff out there (some of the other too but that's to be expected) and appreciate everyone's contributions! As they say, keep on keeping on!

Would you believe I know some of the sales people are reading these to.

There is just so much training, much information is passed downfrom the sales managers/reginal managers, some gets lost. Somtimes there is too much to comprehend withinh the training sessions.