Removing The Shifter

hey everyone,

just a quick question, how do i remove the automatic shifter on my 92 es? i can loosen it by removing the 2 screws on the back and the screw behind the shifter button, but then when i go to lift it up i cant because the wires are caught. im thinking the the cruise control button and the plastic around it have to pop off, but im scared that it will break. any ideas on how to do this?

thanks.

Is the '92 shifter on the column? Otherwise how does the cruise control button come into play as it is on the steering wheel.

On my '95 the shifter was in the center console. It was surrounded by a plastic shield at the base with the gear indicator. There were two buttons on the shifter - one was the shift lock button and the other was the O/D on/off.

You will probably need to take off the wood trim on the center of the console area first. From there you should be able to get the plastic surround off and then potentially disconnect (or at least get more slack out of ) the wires.