Gas Tank Won't Fill, Problems W/gas Tank

Disclaimer: Miami is nice to visit but housing prices are out of control! 400k for 1800 sq ft, you have to be kidding...

That's not too bad, come to Boston, 1800 sq feet will run you upwards or $600K.

We always say, you can sell/move out of New England but you can come back.

steviej

Boston is its own animal....I could move back to NJ for that...but I could move to Dallas and make the same money and buy a much bigger house for that same 400k....

Hi,

This is all new to me.  Here is what happened.  Last week someone tampered with my gas tank (I never used my garage until now), nonetheless nothing seemed to be wrong so I made an appt to have the cord replaced (apparently forcing it open caused some sort of cord to pop that keeps it closed).  Anyway I was scheduled to bring it in this week for repair. well I was down to a half tank of gas when I got on the road Saturday to take a ride down to Palm Beach to handle some business, about 75 miles from my home in Miami, I get there, getting ready to come back so I stop to fill up and it won't take a drop of gas!!!  I first believed there was a problem with the pump so I pull up to another one, same thing, so of course I still think it may be the "row" of pumps so I pull around to one a guy had just gotten finished using and put it in and still no gas allowed.  It would read "fueling" but it took exactly .16 of gas.  Needless to say I was towed, they kept for the weekend given the holiday but did look down it to see if something immediately appeared lodged in the tank and could see nothing (which I would have believed would have been sucked in if that was the case considering I drove over 75 miles prior to stopping for gas.  Nonetheless everyone seemed to be perplexed having never heard of such a problem.  Is anyone aware that there is a sensor or something that could be the problem where somehow it is signalling full? Obviously this is barring there is actually a blockage somewhere that wasn't easily seen.  I just want to prepare myself if this is going to be something major though no lights, signals, or poor performance gave any indicators of an issue.

Just some background: '95 ES300, current on maintenance, no prior issues.

Any feedback would ba appreciated.

A newer es would have an orvr valve wich could cause this problem but a 95 does not.I have been a lexus tech for just over 15 years I have seen a number of times an object usually a piece of foil that has fallen down the fill tube on to the anti siphon restrictor, a + shaped piece of plastic that prevents a siphon hose from entering the fuel in the tank.if something is on this it will kick off the pump in just a second.likley the fuel filler tube will need to be removed.

tom h

Ok, guys, found out that it was indeed the vent line that needs to be replaced.  I didn't get to have an indepth conversation with the gentleman as he called me while I was on my way to the airport (wouldn't you know it) does anyone know what causes this to occur as I didn't do anything special with my vehicle that I normally don't do...

Some background: 1995 ES 300, current on maintenance, 146k miles, sole owner, follow maintenance manual religiously, only prior repair other than maintenance has been replacement of "motor mounts".  Again, any info would be appreciated.

What did the repair of the vent line run you? B)

:cheers:

But honestly I really can't complain, I've been the sole owner of my car for 10 yrs, it has almost 150k on it, and outside of maintenance and the occasional oxygen sensor this is only the 2nd thing I've had done to it that wasn't maintenance...the only other thing I've had done was the motor mounts which from reading the boards is a common repair on my generation of vehicle....I luv my baby....

Now I will say this I am spoiled and have NEVER washed her myself so I'm going to tackle detailing her myself this weekend. Anyone know what I need to use on the headlights other than them being yellow and cloudy my baby looks great...any suggestions...

The vent line is going to run me about $265...the cv joints $1500 and I'm getting the a/c service so I guess I'll be doing good if I come out of it at $2200 or so...how come no one knows a good mechanic in Miami....LOL :cries:

buff the headlights with an electric buffer,using regular machine buffing compound for paint. tom h