Electrical Puzzles

barrymax

Well it all started innocently enough. A faulty door light -switch allowed my headlights stay on for three days. Battery flat as a pancake! I tried jump starting my car from my wife's mitsubishi, but it was so flat it would not start. Took out the battery and charged it. Replaced the battery - but now certain things don't work anymore.

I've checked out all the fuses and reset the circuit breakers, but the following items (all previously fine) are still not working: Steering wheel tilt/telescope, Radio/casette, Mirrors, power door locks. My puzzlement is this; this combination of functions does not correspond with the way the fuses are grouped - how come the power windows work fine, seat adjusts fine etc. Any insight would be very welcome! It's nice to visit this new community of Lexus owners for the first time - clearly a very smart group of people.

Barry

Well it all started innocently enough. A faulty door light -switch allowed my headlights stay on for three days.  Battery flat as a pancake!  I tried jump starting my car from my wife's mitsubishi, but it was so flat it would not start.  Took out the battery and charged it. Replaced the battery - but now certain things don't work anymore.

I've checked out all the fuses and reset the circuit breakers, but the following items (all previously fine) are still not working:  Steering wheel tilt/telescope, Radio/casette, Mirrors, power door locks.  My puzzlement is this; this combination of functions does not correspond with the way the fuses are grouped - how come the power windows work fine, seat adjusts fine etc.  Any insight would be very welcome! It's nice to visit this new community of Lexus owners for the first time - clearly a very smart group of people.

Barry

Did you by any chance switch the cables around? Check your main fuse.

are you saying the tilt and mirrors don't work at all? or not based on the memory settings?

Well it all started innocently enough. A faulty door light -switch allowed my headlights stay on for three days.  Battery flat as a pancake!  I tried jump starting my car from my wife's mitsubishi, but it was so flat it would not start.  Took out the battery and charged it. Replaced the battery - but now certain things don't work anymore.

I've checked out all the fuses and reset the circuit breakers, but the following items (all previously fine) are still not working:  Steering wheel tilt/telescope, Radio/casette, Mirrors, power door locks.  My puzzlement is this; this combination of functions does not correspond with the way the fuses are grouped - how come the power windows work fine, seat adjusts fine etc.  Any insight would be very welcome! It's nice to visit this new community of Lexus owners for the first time - clearly a very smart group of people.

Barry

Did you by any chance switch the cables around? Check your main fuse.

Hi, thanks so much for taking the trouble to respond.

I'm not sure what you mean about switching cables around - do you mean reversing polarity on the jumper cables? Definitely not that. However the load was so great that the jumpers started melting their insulation and I had to abort the operation.

Which is the "Main " fuse?

Barry

are you saying the tilt and mirrors don't work at all? or not based on the memory settings?

Hi, thanks for your response. THey don't work at all.  The memory settings have not worked on the seats, mirrors for a long time, but they all worked manually until this episode.

Barry

I think you may have blown a couple of fuses in the engine compartment. I remember something similar to what you described happened in my friends 96 LS when he switched the polarity of the cables.

Open up the owner’s manual, and check the fuses of the non-functioning equipment. Sounds like a couple of fuses may have blown. In addition, the main fuse is within the fuses in the engine compartment, its a little bigger then the rest, but only costs about $2.11 at AutoZone.

There are two fuse boxes to check. One obviously is the black box behind the battery. The not so obvious one is at the driver's side kick panel. Look up under the driver side, just to the left of the steering wheel and you will see a small cover covering an additional fuse box. Your manual should help you identify the fuses.

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate the time taken. Problem solved - when I revisited the fuses I found a hairline gap in the 'Dome' fuse - I've never seen a fuse fail like that before, they usually blow a sizeable gap. A simple 10amp replacement.