?which Sst Tools For T-belt/waterpump/oil Seals?

V84CAM

Hello fellow LS400 owners.

I have decided to tackle my timing belt ,water pump and front oil seals this upcoming weekend. I do have the repair manuals and experience to do this job but I would like to know if anyone has got away with not using all the SST tools.

I already have a harmonic balencer pulley remover, my question is what tools will i need to get to the 2 cam oil seals and also the front crank oil seal.

I read about removing the crankshaft pulley bolt by utilizing the starter, but what about when you have to put it back on. 181 ft-lbs!!!!!! what will hold the pulley from spinning when I tighten it to 181 ft-lbs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :D

Hey, what year LS 400 do you have?  I have a 1991 LS 400.  Where did you get the repair manuals and how many volumes is it?

Remove the flexplate cover, stick a big big pry bar in there to keep the engine from spinning. And there you have it :cheers:

JPI

Remove the flexplate cover, stick a big big pry bar in there to keep the engine from spinning. And there you have it :cheers:

JPI

Thanks for the quick reply JPI.

That cleaver Pry bar trick should do the job for tightning the crank pulley, but Iam still unclear on how exactly to do it. Will there be an obvious hole on the flywheel when the engine is at TDC. I dont wanna risk messing that up.

1. How should I go about removing and installing the camshafts pulleys???

2.Also the crank oil seal is right behind the crankcase timing pulley(the one that rotates the timing belt) which the manual states needs something like a mini harmonic balencer remover.

Sorry for all the questions. by the way I have a 1993 and this car is still a pleasure to drive each and every day!!!!