Rear End Problems

Don

:( Anyone have problems with rear drive train in AWD RX300? Mine is a '99 with 78K miles and has a loud noise sounding like the tires are bad. It rapidly developed over 2000 miles. Got new tires, alignment(alignment was nearly perfect), but no change. Tire dealer says not a bearing, must be rear end of drive train.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, my 1999 RX300 is in the shop right now for the very same. It seems to be the differential. And it was covered by warranty!!! Contact your dealer pronto and suggest they check the differential (joints and otherwise). Good luck!

One piece of the puzzle not provided was what the sound was like. I have a 2002 AWD that is producing a high pitch squeal from the right rear wheel area. It occurs between 4-12 MPH, but does not occur all the time. After hard left turn, it occurs with more regularity. The dealer has not been able to reproduce the sound on their own, but I finally was able to have on of their technicians drive with me and he finally heard it. They have had it for over 4 days now and all I get is that the seal replacement is taking longest than they expected. I have also perceived a lower MPG when the sound is active, almost a loss of 1 MPG as indicated on my navigation system’s information display. It has been showing about 17.6 and has been noise diving to below 17 just prior to the latest warranty activity.

Any similarity with either of your experiences? :wacko:

Oooh, 'tire roar', when it isn't tires, is either U-joints, which you'd know by a rather unpleasant 'clank' after putting it into gear, or worse, a cracked pinion gear. Be glad it's under warranty. The one in the rear end of my Suckzuki Grand Vitara cracked at 53K, and I've been pretty gentle with it. Replaced it myself for about $260, but it took a couple of hours, and I've *never* had to replace rear end parts, even on college-era beater cars....

High-pitched squeal from one wheel? Sounds like a brake caliper is sticking, or maybe the e-brake cable is hanging up when you turn. Bummer. Good luck!!!

Wow, warranty longer than 12 months or 12K miles...what a concept! ;-)