Gear Shift Knob 95ls V. 98 Gs

nc211

We've got a 98 GS300 in our latest shipment of repos. It's got that wood trimmed gear shift knob. I've got a 95 LS400 with the leather shifter. Can the GS fit my LS? On the surface it looks identical is size and shape. Can it be unscrewed and put on mine in that simple fashion?

Hey NC, I was also wondering if the shift knob is upgradeable. I know on some non-Lexus cars, you have to take the console apart and replace both the fat (leather/wood) piece AND the chrome shaft. But on our LSes, just the fat part unscrews. So you may grab one of the GSes and give her a twist. I bet they're interchangeable.

But the real question is how you did last weekend on your suspension repairs? Curious minds want to know!!

I was beaten into submission by the very first bolt! :cries:

You really need an air wrench to do this job right. Those bolts on the control arms have been in there for 10 years, and they're not coming out with out a fight! I had the car up on jacks, and pulled, pushed, yanked and begged with the first bolt. But, the car was wobbling so much on the jacks that I didn't feel safe doing it. So, I packed it in, went to the store, got some beer with my buddy, and sat on the porch and watched the world go by. I've made a deal with my mechanic who has a shop at his home as well. He's got all the right tools. And, two home computers that don't work worth a crap and no idea how to fix them....so, it's a "scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" type of setup. He's taking the car next weekend, and I'm taking his computers and will wipe them clean, rebuild and tweak out.

Funny thing, it's not my finance degree or other professional designations that matter the most. It's my knowledge of computers from being a computer geek for the university while I was in school many years ago. Hahahaha. I had the entire business school faculty using Napster when it was free. You could tell how the markets were doing that day by the music coming from the finance faculty lounge. Market down = Ray Charles "Busted". Market up = James Brown "On A Good Foot".

To answer my own question. NO, the gear shift knobs can't be swapped between the two different models. GS is smaller than LS.

Now THAT is a deal - using your expertise on somebody's 'puters while they use their expertise on your car. Sounds like a great trade. And that wobbling around on jack stands can get pretty scary. AND you got to drink some beer in the process. You're pretty smart.

Sorry to hear the GS shifter won't shift over to the LS.

I would have thought that the GS used the same shifter - I guess not. (Benz shuifters were all the same size for a while in the '90s.) If you want to swap, look on eBay for a replacement. I've heard from many dealers that the car jockeys at the big auction houses (Manaheim for example) will actually steal the shift knobs off of the cars and then try to sell them back to the dealers who puchase the cars on the way out. Most dealers won't buy them - why support the habit, but I'm sure you could find one on eBay.