Gs400 Performance

8thsin

:cheers:

My dad just bought a 99 Lexus GS400. I want to make it faster without him knowing it, like ecu, intake, pulleys, etc.... The only thing I cant change is the exhaust. I would like some links or pics, or any info for that matter on how to make this thing faster, and handle better. I could change the exhaut if it is a quiet system. He wants under the hood dress up stuf, which any info will help me.

Thanks

By saying that he won't notice, what do you mean? That the parts can't increase noise? Then exhausts and intakes are out. There is no ECU/chip for the car so that is out. The two best performance mods for a GS400 without going custom (FI, headers, ...) is a high stall torque converter with tranny cooler, and an LSD. You can get away with the first only. You won't actualy get more HP but from a start, you will make good use of the torque that is already there on the car.

Handling wise, how will he not know. Are you saying the OEM ride quality has to be there but it will just handle better? How better? Imagine a slider with the two endpoints as ride quality and tight handling. You will need to determine where you want to place that slider because you don't get something for nothing.

What wheels are on the car? I assume OEM 17s but there are some GS400s out there on 16s too. This will also determine the handling/ride quality factor. Whichever set is on the car, does he like it this way? Does he mind a drop on the car? None? A little? A lot? Does he mind losing a little ride quality? Bigger wheels?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to ascertain what the working conditions are. And the biggest question of all: budget? How much are you planning to spend because these mods can add up quickly.

I can answer your question better once I know what you have in mind. :)

Thanks (yes he does not want it to be loud, but a intake is not that loud) I will get a intake and strut bars, and thats it. What is the best intake for theese things, and strut bars. I appreciate the help. :D

By saying that he won't notice, what do you mean?  That the parts can't increase noise?  Then exhausts and intakes are out.  There is no ECU/chip for the car so that is out.  The two best performance mods for a GS400 without going custom (FI, headers, ...) is a high stall torque converter with tranny cooler, and an LSD.  You can get away with the first only.  You won't actualy get more HP but from a start, you will make good use of the torque that is already there on the car.

Handling wise, how will he not know.  Are you saying the OEM ride quality has to be there but it will just handle better?  How better?  Imagine a slider with the two endpoints as ride quality and tight handling.  You will need to determine where you want to place that slider because you don't get something for nothing.

What wheels are on the car?  I assume OEM 17s but there are some GS400s out there on 16s too.  This will also determine the handling/ride quality factor. Whichever set is on the car, does he like it this way?  Does he mind a drop on the car?  None?  A little? A lot?  Does he mind losing a little ride quality?  Bigger wheels?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to ascertain what the working conditions are.  And the biggest question of all: budget?  How much are you planning to spend because these mods can add up quickly.

I can answer your question better once I know what you have in mind. :)

Thanks (yes he does not want it to be loud, but a intake is not that loud)  I will get a intake and strut bars, and thats it.    What is the best intake for theese things, and strut bars.  I appreciate the help.  :D

Although opinions may vary, intakes don't do a whole lot for the GS. If anything, you may lose a bit on the bottom end (and gain on the upper end). Your dad will feel the difference (bad) from stop but might feel a little something on the freeway. Unfortunately, the one that is considered by many to be the best is on the loud side. Intakes can be loud. It is the SRT intake. This one is good because it comes with piggyback race ECU that suposedly changes the air fuel ratio to make better use of the additional air input. The K&N is also decent but the gains are minimal.

For the Strut Tower Bar, there are a number. If you plan to not do anything else with the suspension, a simple bar to get would be the TRD STB.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=65

• 8 months later...