Nakamichi Radio Distortion

some1 please help!! i currently own a 95 lexus sc400 with nakamichi radio, i was drivin around one day when my radio just bugged out on me, it started making this horrible annoying noise as if one of my cds were skipping, so i hopped out of the car and checked out my cd changer and pulled out the cd from its slot. only to get back in my car and realize the problem was still there even in fm and am mode, so i dont believe its the changer. i recently took it to a lexus dealer and they told me it was the amplifier and that it fried out on me, but i installed another amp from an ebay buyer who was nice enough to let me drive to his house and install it right then and there to see if it was the amp. i got the same skipping noise from his amp as well, i think lexus was trying to screw me out 350 bucks anyone know what my problem is, im thinkin its the head unit but im hoping its somethin else..drivin without a radio since last summer please help guys

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem and got it fixed at local car audio repair center.

It cost me about $250 and I thought it was worth it.

After about a year, just recently, the sound started having black-outs when I make quick turns or quick accelerations. I figure that is the same amp problem, or some kind of bad connection problem.

Hope you don't get this issue when you get your fixed.

some1 please help!! i currently own a 95 lexus sc400 with nakamichi radio, i was drivin around one day when my radio just bugged out on me, it started making this horrible annoying noise as if one of my cds were skipping, so i hopped out of the car and checked out my cd changer and pulled out the cd from its slot. only to get back in my car and realize the problem was still there even in fm and am mode, so i dont believe its the changer. i recently took it to a lexus dealer and they told me it was the amplifier and that it fried out on me, but i installed another amp from an ebay buyer who was nice enough to let me drive to his house and install it right then and there to see if it was the amp. i got the same skipping noise from his amp as well, i think lexus was trying to screw me out 350 bucks anyone know what my problem is, im thinkin its the head unit but im hoping its somethin else..drivin without a radio since last summer please help guys

some1 please help!! i currently own a 95 lexus sc400 with nakamichi radio, i was drivin around one day when my radio just bugged out on me, it started making this horrible annoying noise

This is going to sound wierd, but try something for me. Turn on your radio so it's making the noise you describe (maybe it's worse on AM stations?). Now move your seat rearward until it hits the stops. When it does stop, keep the switch pushed back, as if you wanted the seat to continue moving backward. Listen to the radio noise as you do this. Does it change in any way?

sluggo

some1 please help!! i currently own a 95 lexus sc400 with nakamichi radio, i was drivin around one day when my radio just bugged out on me, it started making this horrible annoying noise

This is going to sound wierd, but try something for me. Turn on your radio so it's making the noise you describe (maybe it's worse on AM stations?). Now move your seat rearward until it hits the stops. When it does stop, keep the switch pushed back, as if you wanted the seat to continue moving backward. Listen to the radio noise as you do this. Does it change in any way?

sluggo

NO change in noise, no change at all

NO change in noise, no change at all

Dang. It was a shot in the dark. I'm finding that background noise on AM goes away when I do that. I have a feeling it has something to do with the aging (drying out) of the electrolytic capacitors in the radio's power supply. When the voltage regulator has to pass more current to the seat motor, the 14.4V supply probably cleans up a bit.

Best bet at this point is to take out the back seat and check for water damage to the connections on the floor. Water tends to collect there and mess things up, if it gets really deep. Soak up any water, blow-dry the connectors, then plug and unplug them several times to wipe away any surface contamination.

luck,

sluggo