Let Me Clarify My Question

914lps

:blink: I had asked this question about cleaning the Throttle Body with it on the car:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=18979

My reason or thinking behind it is because I know there is a lot of "Stuff" in the manifold if there is stuff on the TB. Right now car is fine. No reason to be thinking about the TB other then it has never been done that I know of with 120,000 miles on the car. It is a 91 LS 400

I got the car wet and messed up the Idle Control Valve. A $500.00 to $700.00 part. I finally found that I could buy a used valve if I bough a used top manifold and asked that the valve stay with it. Strange, but that way I got the thing for $120.00 with 6 month warrantee on the used valve. I just got the part and am putting it on today. The Control Valve, not the manifold

O.K. stay with me. You should see the stuff that is in the manifold I got. Man it is dirty (comes clean when hit with carb cleaner). Now I realize the car it came off of was in bad shape more likely then not, and does not reflect what mine looks like, but it got me thinking... Yes, thinking hurts and is a dangerous thing, but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm working on car anyway so why not clean the TB with the engine running and hope it helps to clean up the manifold to. Now it may be when I look at my TB opening it will be nice and clean (not likely) and I'll do nothing, but if it is dirty, I figure spray the daylights out of it, at a good rpm and let all the stuff go though the engine and also clean the manifold. But....

This brings us to my question of is this going to really mess with my plugs and valves having all the stuff wash down to them? If I do this, I will then take a 400 mile none stop drive with added cleaners in the gas (I have to take the drive anyway). I'm thinking that yes, stuff is getting to plugs and valves, but with engine running, and then taking the long drive, everything should clean out. I'll use stuff safe for 02 sensors and cats.

Now you know my thinking. Is it on track or am I going to do bad things to a nice car? And here is another question. Where does all that stuff come from. The TB is after the air filter and before the injectors. It is just "air" going though it. Or is it because of the engine "fumes" picked up though vacuum?

Anyone looking for a top manifold cheep? Without the idle control valve that is.....

:chairshot:

Only the throttle plate and surrounding bore needs to be kept clean. The intake manifold does not need to be cleaned.

Lots of owners have ruined their throttle position sensors and oxygen sensors by flooding the throttle plate and intake manifold with cleaners.

The right way to clean the throttle plate on the car is to use minimal amounts of cleaner and scrub BOTH sides of the plate and bore clean with a toothbrush and some old rags soaked incleaner. After scrubbing with the toothbrush I wrap the toothbrush in an old rag and use it to wipe off the liguified goo.

:blink: I had asked this question about cleaning the Throttle Body with it on the car:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=18979

My reason or thinking behind it is because I know there is a lot of "Stuff" in the manifold if there is stuff on the TB.  Right now car is fine.  No reason to be thinking about the TB other then it has never been done that I know of with 120,000 miles on the car.  It is a 91 LS 400

I got the car wet and messed up the Idle Control Valve.  A $500.00 to $700.00 part.  I finally found that I could buy a used valve if I bough a used top manifold and asked that the valve stay with it.  Strange, but that way I got the thing for $120.00 with 6 month warrantee on the used valve.  I just got the part and am putting it on today. The Control Valve, not the manifold

O.K. stay with me.  You should see the stuff that is in the manifold I got.  Man it is dirty (comes clean when hit with carb cleaner).  Now I realize the car it came off of was in bad shape more likely then not, and does not reflect what mine looks like, but it got me thinking...  Yes, thinking hurts and is a dangerous thing, but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm working on car anyway so why not clean the TB with the engine running and hope it helps to clean up the manifold to.  Now it may be when I look at my TB opening it will be nice and clean  (not likely) and I'll do nothing, but if it is dirty, I figure spray the daylights out of it, at a good rpm and let all the stuff go though the engine and also clean the manifold.  But....

This brings us to my question of is this going to really mess with my plugs and valves having all the stuff wash down to them?  If I do this, I will then take a 400 mile none stop drive with added cleaners in the gas (I have to take the drive anyway).  I'm thinking that yes, stuff is getting to plugs and valves, but with engine running, and then taking the long drive, everything should clean out.  I'll use stuff safe for 02 sensors and cats.

Now you know my thinking.  Is it on track or am I going to do bad things to a nice car?  And here is another question.  Where does all that stuff come from.  The TB is after the air filter and before the injectors.  It is just "air" going though it.  Or is it because of the engine "fumes" picked up though vacuum?

Anyone looking for a top manifold cheep?  Without the idle control valve that is.....

:chairshot:

Throttle Body and Intake cleaner is safe to use. Leave the engine running when you do it. if you dont you risk having a flooded engine when you go to start it.

the reason the throttle body gets dirty is because the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system brings dirty exhaust gasses back into the intake system. the only problem is, it does puts them back in BEFORE the throttle body. so the whole system from the TB back gets gunky.

Monarch is correct. I messed with all kinds of additives and such, but when I actually opened the throttle body orifice, I was amazed at the amounts of black soot in the throat, and especially on the plate. No way sprays would break this stuff loose.

The toothbrush works just like it works on your teeth, while the additives work just like mouthwash. Must be a joke here, but this is a serious forum.....

Monarch is correct.  I messed with all kinds of additives and such, but when I actually opened the throttle body orifice, I was amazed at the amounts of black soot in the throat, and especially on the plate.  No way sprays would break this stuff loose.

The toothbrush works just like it works on your teeth, while the additives work just like mouthwash.  Must be a joke here, but this is a serious forum.....

:whistles:

The used manafold I have looks like it is coated in a nasty black stuff. But as a test I hit it with some B12 Chemtool spray. Spray melted the stuf to the metal. I know on carberated engines you can spray cleaner down the carb like nuts and witht he engine running you can't kill the engine. So I'm inclined to think this is O.K. with the lexus. I also have cleaned the TB on my 84 Saab this way and it works great. Also on my 89 Blazer with a TB. But Lexus seems like a diferant car so I asked. After all, I can hit the Saab's or Fords Engine with a ton of water no big deal. But the Lexus got a little wet and I did a grand worth of damadge. Lexus is to expensive to assume stuff with.

But I never asked if this was as good as cleaning the TB off the car. I just asked about doing it this way and the effects on the plugs etc.