Brakes Sticking

VBdenny

I have a 1990 LS400 and I noticed a brake noise which sounded like it was dragging. I felt the rims after driving less than 5 miles and the right rear was very hot. Are sticking calipers a typical Problem on a Lexus? I didn't see any other posts regarding brakes.

A sticking caliper is a common problem on older cars, and a Lexus would be no exception. Other than a flexible hose, or who knows, maybe the traction control, the most likely explanation is that the dust boot has become perforated and allowed water to enter and rust the piston in its bore. That prevents it from retracting as it should and the brake pads remain partially clamped against the rotor, causing the excess heat you have found. Jack up the rear of the car and feel the difference in drag on the two wheels.

In most cases a rebuild of the caliper is all that is needed, and at worst an exchange unit can be installed. Fix it before the rotor is warped or damaged.

Thanks for the info. I removed the RR tire and found out indeed the caliper was sticking. Since the pads were way worn from the caliper sticking I whipped over to a local Lexus dealer (with my wallet). No I didn't pay them the $700 bucks they quoted to do the brakes, I just bought a set a brake pads for $75 bucks (my Chevy's cost $18). I cleaned up the boot (which wasn't torn) then using a C-clamp and a small piece of flat metal I compressed the piston back into the caliper (NOTE: if you have anti-lock ABS brakes you must open the bleeder valve as you do this or you will damage the ABS) and installed the new pads.

I must say having done many brake jobs over the years that Lexus has a most excellent design on brakes. I did both sides in less than 30 minutes using the one both out, hinged calipers. I found out that only the top bolt must be removed. Tools needed for job, 14mm wrench (included in Lexus tool kit) and a C-clamp which I bought at Home Depot for $8 (since I am away from home at the moment). Anyone can do brakes on a Lexus and save close to $1000. My experience with the dealers is that they always get big money for you for everything. Luckily, Lexus engineering makes working on these cars easier than most. They key is to carefully study the parts before and during disassembly.

I probably would have installed a new caliper but since the dealer didn't have one in stock? and I was afraid to ask the cost, I used the same one. Seems to be working fine.

By the way, I LOVE driving this car. I can easily run at 100mph on the Jersey Turnpike and still be loafing.