Climate Control

chajones

I am new to this forum, as well as to Lexus ownership. I just purchased a 1996 ES300 for $8500. I believe I got a good deal because it only has 46,000 miles and has been regularly serviced. I do have one question. When I have the climate control in the "auto" mode the AC button light comes on and stays on. This is true even though the temperatures in New Jersey have been in the teens. Do I have a problem? Thanks to all who share info in this forum.

Even on a 2004 ES330, this is one of its little ideosycrasies. When only heating is needed, I press the A/C button to be sure that part of the system does not run.

I am new to this forum, as well as to Lexus ownership.  I just purchased a 1996 ES300 for $8500.  I believe I got a good deal because it only has 46,000 miles and has been regularly serviced.  I do have one question.  When I have the climate control in the "auto" mode the AC button light comes on and stays on.  This is true even though the temperatures in New Jersey have been in the teens.  Do I have a problem?  Thanks to all who share info in this forum.

It's completely normal that in "Auto" mode the AC indicator lights up. Even though this indicator is lit does not mean that the AC is actually working, because below certain temperatures(outside freezing), the compressor is locked out.

Another thing is that if you make any button changes to the climate control, like fan speed, AC on/off, or recirculate, it goes out of "Auto" operation. You can reset all the parameters to adjust automatically by pressing the "Auto" button.