Ls400 Tranny Shift 1st-2nd While Cold

druhanson55

Tranny won't up-shift out of 1st until the fluid warms up.Once it warms up, it runs great. I changed the fluid and filter about 10000 miles ago but I used Dextron III. Within a couple hundred miles of that I did the 3qt change using the proper fluid purchased from toyota. I now notice the fluid smells burnt.I'm considering doing a complete fluid change with new toyota fluid but I don't want to do this without getting feedback cause if someone with more knowledge on this thinks I'm wasting my time and money going this route,I'd like to know your thought's.Thanks!!

you need to get that Dex III outta there and use the toyota T-IV...

Just do a couple more pan drains and you'll have it....

Your car will shift @ 2500 rpms/25mph..... into 3rd gear when its cold....it 's the way Lexus designed it. The coolant temp must reach 100 degrees or so for the smooth shift. the higher rpms are trying to warm the engine faster....

Update, I justed pulled the codes via DLC2 and O/D OFF indicator light flash and I receive a code 63. Alldatadiy claims code 63 refering to No.2 solenoid Valve and/or valve circuit. If ECU detects the situation once,it will hold the code, but will only alert me if it detects the situation continously 8 times or more in one trip. With this additional info, do you still feel it worth my while too proceed with the Dextron flush and replace first or research code 63 further?? Keeping in mind that my problem only takes place while the fluid is cold. If you would like,I will post more info related to code 63 diagnostic chart. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...
Update, I justed pulled the codes via DLC2 and O/D OFF indicator light flash and I receive a code 63. Alldatadiy claims code 63 refering to No.2 solenoid Valve and/or valve circuit. If ECU detects the situation once,it will hold the code, but will only alert me if it detects the situation continously 8 times or more in one trip. With this additional info, do you still feel it worth my while too proceed with the Dextron flush and replace first or research code 63 further?? Keeping in mind that my problem only takes place while the fluid is cold. If you would like,I will post more info related to code 63 diagnostic chart. Thanks again!!

my od light flashes on slight inclines and between 1st and second gear but only somtimes do you know excatly what that code means? :cries:

Sounds like multiple problems:

1. Wrong transmission fluid causing temporary or permanent mechanical problems.

2. One or more Transmission shift control solenoids going out, due either to high mileage or use of the wrong fluid.

3. Transmission overheating that may have already done permanent damage to the internal clutches and brakes inside the transmission (if the fluid was blackish in color)

Remove transmission oil pan to check for heavy metal shavings on the magnets

and a semi-clogged filter screen due to a buildup of non-magnetic wear particles.

If there is alot of wear debris, it may not be worth it to buy and install new solenoids because the transmission won't last much longer anyway.

You midwesterners need to learn to use Toyota brand fluids and parts if you want long troublefree service just like the Japanese would need to learn to use GM and Ford parts and fluids if they ever started importing Buicks LeSabres and Ford Crown Victoria's