Few Quick Ls 400 Questions

LA1

Hello,

My girlfriend just purchased a 92 LS 400 with 140k. The car looks like brand new and I found maintenence records in the car. When the car idles there is a tick that doesn't sound too bad (my rover has a similar tick so I didn't think it was anything to worry about) but when the car is hot the ticking is very loud. I've read about valve adjustments but I was wondering, would it cause any harm to leave it for now? Maybe mobil 1 might help. Also yesterday the tach quit working. Sometimes it will go to 1200 and stick or sometimes it will not work at all.

Any advice?

:cheers: Thanks in advance,

Levi

make sure your oil level is up to snuff.....could be low on oil

that tick is the lifters, you need a valve job (pretty expensive)....but it poses no real threat to the car, its just annoying.

next oil change go with mobil 1 5-30w, that should help with the valve noise. when i switched to synthetic the ticking went away..

do a search on the tach deal, its been talked about b/f, actually it was just talked about the other day, there is a thread on the second page.

Hi Levi!! :)

Did you mean to say - "when the car was HOT" or "when the car was accelerating"? When I bought MY LS [a 1993 model] it too had a very loud ticking sound - just as you described. [but only when accelerating] Having the valves adjusted quieted things down quite a bit. But there is another ticking sound that you should be aware of. [but it's only noticible when idling] And that sound is coming from the fuel injectors. [a perfectly 'normal' sound - by the way]

But as silvermate said - NOT adjusting the valves - "........poses no real threat to the car." So I'd leave it for now if I were you. [or if I were your girlfriend!!] Is that what I meant?! lol Well - you know what I mean - I'm sure!! :D

Craig!! :)