Windshield Replacement Glass

PharmGuy

I recently had to replace my windshield on my 2001 RX-300. I was traveling

behind a covered dump truck, thought I was a safe distance behind, but alas...

I wasn't. We were on the Interstate, traveling 65 or so and PING :censored: ,

I got hit by not 1, but 2 separate pebbles. The first, hit the upper right corner of

the windshield, cracking it, and second, hit directly in the center, and it cracked

it end-to-end. I stopped, got out to see if the body received any damage, but it

looked ok. I know these things happen, but still, I was ripped. Unable, to find the

dump truck, I figured I would have to put in a claim for glass replacement.

My insurance was great. Massachusetts is a glass-covered state (100%) with

approved glass shops. I went to set up an appointment, arranged for a convenient

day/time and dropped off my vehicle. The job was done, as promised, but now,

I've got a whistle. Hmmm, I've been back to them twice, but they can't seem

to find a leak (it doesn't leak when it rains). The replacement windshield (PPG)

is fine, but the gasket fitting the window, or the moulding, I guess, would be the

problem.

I'm looking for other members who might have had replacement glass done.

I'm thinking of driving to my Lexus dealership, for a basic check of the problem,

but I'm looking for an easier fix. The problem only occurs at about 50 mph.

Regular in-town driving, the problem is insignificant. Any ideas, or thoughts would

be appreciated. The glass place is reputable, but they can't find the problem to

fit it.

PharmGuy (Paul)

I recently had to replace my windshield on my 2001 RX-300. I was traveling

behind a covered dump truck, thought I was a safe distance behind, but alas...

I wasn't. We were on the Interstate, traveling 65 or so and PING :censored: ,

I got hit by not 1, but 2 separate pebbles. The first, hit the upper right corner of

the windshield, cracking it, and second, hit directly in the center, and it cracked

it end-to-end. I stopped, got out to see if the body received any damage, but it

looked ok. I know these things happen, but still, I was ripped. Unable, to find the

dump truck, I figured I would have to put in a claim for glass replacement.

My insurance was great. Massachusetts is a glass-covered state (100%) with

approved glass shops. I went to set up an appointment, arranged for a convenient

day/time and dropped off my vehicle. The job was done, as promised, but now,

I've got a whistle. Hmmm, I've been back to them twice, but they can't seem

to find a leak (it doesn't leak when it rains). The replacement windshield (PPG)

is fine, but the gasket fitting the window, or the moulding, I guess, would be the

problem.

I'm looking for other members who might have had replacement glass done.

I'm thinking of driving to my Lexus dealership, for a basic check of the problem,

but I'm looking for an easier fix. The problem only occurs at about 50 mph.

Regular in-town driving, the problem is insignificant. Any ideas, or thoughts would

be appreciated. The glass place is reputable, but they can't find the problem to

fit it.

PharmGuy (Paul)

do you have a sunroof/moonroof? if so, lube it, il bet that solves the issue. ;)

do you have a sunroof/moonroof?  if so, lube it, il bet that solves the issue. ;)

Josh if the whistling wasn't there before the windshield replacement and immediately present after the windshield replacement I doubt it is the moonroof.

Paul, I had my windshield replaced about 2 months ago. I was nervous to have it done. I called my dealership and found out where they outsource their work to. I called them (turns out it is 25 minutes from my house) and had the work done there. Not problems whatsoever. I suggest you do the same. Just call you insurance company and let them know what is going on. They shouldn't have a problem.

If you would like, Lexus of Norwood has their glass done by Allstate Glass in Weymouth, MA. It's a trip for you, but they may be able to rectify what your glass shop did or can't find. They do the glass for all models of Lexi.

steviej

do you have a sunroof/moonroof?  if so, lube it, il bet that solves the issue. ;)

Josh if the whistling wasn't there before the windshield replacement and immediately present after the windshield replacement I doubt it is the moonroof.

Paul, I had my windshield replaced about 2 months ago. I was nervous to have it done. I called my dealership and found out where they outsource their work to. I called them (turns out it is 25 minutes from my house) and had the work done there. Not problems whatsoever. I suggest you do the same. Just call you insurance company and let them know what is going on. They shouldn't have a problem.

If you would like, Lexus of Norwood has their glass done by Allstate Glass in Weymouth, MA. It's a trip for you, but they may be able to rectify what your glass shop did or can't find. They do the glass for all models of Lexi.

steviej

ok, you know what, i need to go to sleep and wake up tomorrow and try it all over again, cause that was just about the dumbest thing i have ever posted...sorry. :blink:

on a more helpful note, tahe it back to whoever replaced the windshield, just because it isnt leaking that you can see, doesnt mean it isnt leaking, chances are if its whislting it is leaking, btu look at all the weatherstipping and see if its frayed/damaged where corners meet/along the topp curve of the windshield etc. i had one replaced in a 1994 Dodge Dakota (V8 BABY YEAH), and they couldnt get the weatherstripping right on it. finally i had to take it do a specialty shop...$150 later i had ANOTHER new windsheild, and no more whistle. sometimes when rocks hit, they do damage to the metal frame under the glass to, so if that was damaged, it will have a whistle there as well.

Hey Army,

Don't sweat the idea. I cut out from a foam padding to put around

the edges of the sunroof, just as a test (see-- your suggestion wasn't so

far off base). It made it a little quieter but I was still getting the whistle.

I'm off to see my insurance people this week to see about a secondary

glass claim (they've been good, so maybe if it's gotta be redone, they

cover a second repair).

Hey, Stevie--- thanks for the info. I've got to drive to Hartford,CT

the next week of so, I might call Hoffman ahead, just as a thought. They've

been good to me so far (might have something to do with having her license

plate holder driving around in the competitor's region--lol). I'll see. I'll

keep you posted.

PharmGuy

"Remember pot hole season is now open in New England"