Is this a towing connector?

Go to solution Solved by Stefano-S,

I've had my 2024 RX350h for a little over a month and just love it. I'm thinking about adding a towing hitch which will be no problem. My question is abut the wiring for a 4 conductor trailer plug. My research showed that models before 2023 have a connector underneath the rear bumper on the driver's side where an extension harness can be plugged in. I could not find any information about such a connector on the 2023 or 2024 models. My Lexus does not have the towing package which I understand includes increased cooling for the transmission. I only have a small trailer that I use from time to time and am not concerned about any overheating.

When I looked underneath the rear bumper there is a 4 prong connector towards the passenger side that appears it may be for a towing harness. Does anyone have any information or experience with this connector. The wire colors are white, green, brown and red. A couple of pictures are attached attached. 

wide view.jpg

close view.jpg

That is where the pigtail will plug in but, you must first remove that gray plastic cap.  Also, you will need a tow converter, an electronic box which makes everything operate correctly.  The converter plugs in farther up the harness, on the right side of the rear cargo area under the panels.  I did all of this to my 2024 RX450h+ several months ago and everything works fine.

Hello Stefano, thank you for the reply. Can you tell me if this tow converter box is a Lexus part and even if a third party manufacturer can you give me a part number.

Lexus Tow Converter PT725-48232 from any Lexus dealer and there are several online that will discount it.   I paid around $120.

Curt 56083 Custom Wiring Connector plugs into the gray connector and you can buy it from Amazon for about $20.  Other than that you will need a hitch.  I bought the Torklift Ecohitch and it's great.

converter.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I was under the impression that install instructions would come with the Lexus P/N harness. I bought mine for $122 from an out of state dealer and on the outside of the box was a note to get a copy from the dealer. I can probably figure it out but need a rough idea of the location where it goes. I'm thinking the driver's side behind the second row seat but would like a little assurance. Hours of searching online, including YouTube, was no help.

It is located on the passenger's (right) side of the vehicle in the cargo area.  You must remove the side panel in order to access it.  It's not difficult, just a bit time consuming.  Attached is the instruction pdf.  My fuse boxes already had the fuses previously installed.

Thanks. I kept wondering if there were similar harnesses and installation as these instructions are for a 48230. But I even searched for instructions for the 48230 and found nothing useful. Thanks again.

While I actually haven't had the time yet to install this harness I just wanted to let other forum members know that Steve has been very generous with his time and has provided all the necessary information where I feel 100% confident that I will have no problem with this install. If, after I do make this install, I find any problems or helpful hints for RX350h owners I will add that information to this post.