Key Question

Hey all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I've looked through old posts and still have a couple questions about getting a new remote key. Obviously the better way (cheaper) to go is buy one through ebay or a dealer that sells them cheap then program yourself and have it cut.

In reading the posts, there are references to a Master key and Sub key. I only got one key from the place I bought my 99gs3 from. Posts say I need a Master key in order to program a new key.

So my question is how do i know if i have a master key?

TIA,

Sizzler

Hey all,

Sorry to beat a dead horse.  I've looked through old posts and still have a couple questions about getting a new remote key.  Obviously the better way (cheaper) to go is buy one through ebay or a dealer that sells them cheap then program yourself and have it cut. 

In reading the posts, there are references to a Master key and Sub key.  I only got one key from the place I bought my 99gs3 from.  Posts say I need a Master key in order to program a new key.

So my question is how do i know if i have a master key?

TIA,

Sizzler

THE BIG FAT KEY WITH THE 3 BUTTONS ( DOOR AND TRUNK AND PANIC ) IS THE MASTER KEY.

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND.

If the car starts, you've got the master key! :P

Not necessarily true. A valet key (no remote) will also start the car. To make matters even worse, a valet key can be programmed as a master as well. This is a useful note when getting additional keys made because you can get a valet key, program it as a master, and then you could get additional keys (remote or valet) made from it. To be technically correct, to make any additional key you need:

1. Any key that has been registered to the car as a master. 2. Any blank, remote-master or valet cut to the cars key code (obtainable from the VIN).

2. If no keys are available, an original master (and/or valet) can be originated using the cars key code and by replacing the ECM (normally done once by a dealer, free of charge as a courtesy). If you have to pay out of pocket, hold on, it's not cheap.