Multi Display Problem - Rx300 ?

rhack1

My 1999 rx300 has a strange electrical problem with the display...As of now , only the time shows -- no computer, no radio, no climate control...However, if i turn the key to ACC, i can turn on the stereo system (selecting fm, cd, etc and adjusting the soound, etc)...But when i then crank it over to start, the stereo buttons do not work and i cannot change any of the selections/sound level that i was able to change when just using the ACC position...Either way, the computer and climate control settings do not show up at all...The climate control doesn't work at all -- so it's not that it's working, but the display just isn't showing the details/status...I checked all the fuses and also disconnected the positive and negative battery terminals for a couple hours in the hopes of "resetting something"...This happened only once before and the disconnecting of the battery terminal solved it for a couple months...Now it is completing acting up as i described above...Any idea?!...I plan to order a replacement display/head unit and attempt an install myself...hopefully it's something with the unit...i didn't want to take to lexus dealer as the electrical uncertainty had me scared for the bill...R

Your symptoms seem to be indicative of a worn-out or faulty ignition switch. Don't spend any money on ordering parts yet without having your ignition switch checked out first. A service facility specializing in electrical repairs will check this problem out for far less than your Lexus dealership will charge you. And if it's a worn-out wire or relay, they may be able to solder a fix rather than sell you an entirely new $1,200 ignition switch (I'm guessing at the Lexus price but I'll bet that I'm pretty close).

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you learn.

Your symptoms seem to be indicative of a worn-out or faulty ignition switch.  Don't spend any money on ordering parts yet without having your ignition switch checked out first.  A service facility specializing in electrical repairs will check this problem out for far less than your Lexus dealership will charge you.  And if it's a worn-out wire or relay, they may be able to solder a fix rather than sell you an entirely new $1,200 ignition switch (I'm guessing at the Lexus price but I'll bet that I'm pretty close). 

Good luck.  Keep us posted on what you learn.

Thx...what makes you think it's an ignition switch problem and not something with the electronics that are part of the multi-display "head"...i was thinking that it couldn't be the ignition switch since the computer (mpg,etc), temp and climate control doesn't work in the ACC position...this one has me kinda stumped as to whether it's the switch or the head diaply unit...everything else works fine in the car relating to the ignition switch - lights, etc...

Years ago I had similar electrical symptoms in a Datsun Z. After a lot of troubleshooting and running down a few leads that didn't work, the problem was finally fixed with a new ignition switch. I'll never forget it - it took awhile to diagnose and was very frustrating.