Is The 30,000 Mile Maintenance Required?

DonClydeO

I own an '01 IS 300 with 29,500 miles. According to my manual/dealer, I'm due for a 30,000 mile check-up. The dealer wants $550 bucks to do it. What is checked/replaced on the 30k maintenance? Is it worth paying the dealership the $550 to do it or would it be something that I can do (i.e. change filters)? If it is something I can do, would that raise any issues with Lexus because it's won't show in their database that it was completed? I can think of a few other things I'd rather spend the money on!

Not being cheap but I think the dealer is really bending me over the counter when they charge me. Example:I put in Synlube oil (http://www.synlube.com/) which is good for 150,000 miles without changing. Unfortunately, SynLube does not make a once a year oil filter for the IS, so I have to change it myself every 6 months. Last time I had to change the filter it was a very cold day in Boston, so I brought my ride to the dealer for them to change it. I asked for just an oil filter change. When I got the bill, they charged me for an actual oil change ($39.95) plus $9.95 for disposal of the old filter. When I questioned it, they told me that they don't have a billing code setup for just an oil filter change.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

depends on what you want done.

There is the Lexus schedule of what the stealership will do for "their" 30,000 check up and then you can decide what you really want. I splurged for this but did the oil and filter myself.

It includes all fluid (coolant, ps, brake, oil&filter, tranny/diff) replacement. (I will do my own tranny drain & fills from now on as well). They also rotate the tires and check a few bolts.

not to mention a wash and vacuum. If you use Lexus of Norwood, have it done on a Sat and eat all the buffet.

In regards to doing it yourself, just keep a log and all your purchase receipts. You don't have to do this at the dealer either. Toyota can do it for less and there are plenty of qualified and competant independent shops in MA that can do what is required. Where are you in MA, I can give you the names of a few.

In regards to synlube, I must ask you, hosestly.....do you really thing going 150,000 miles without an oil change is good? Does this stuff meet or beat SAE standards?

steviej