Need Rear Barke Pads

are the rear pads on the ES series difficult to replace??/ i have done disk brakes only once before, on a simpler car...

:unsure: tey cant be too har, right?

i canget the pads for both rears for 26.99 at autozone (duralast gold ceramic)...how long do you think it will take?

I have changed the rear pads twice on my 94 ES during the years I have had the car. (10 years - 118,000 miles).

The job is very easy. After removing the wheel, you remove the lower pin that screws into the caliper. The caliper then can be flipped up. Tie it up with a bungee cord or wire. The old pads and shims can then be pulled out. Next, using a large C clamp, push the piston back into the caliper. (If your brake fluid reservoir is full, there might be some overflow when this is done. You can prevent this by removing some fluid from the reservoir before you begin.)

Apply disc brake compound to the back of the new pads and to the shims. Let it dry for a while and then insert the pads into their proper places in the bracket. Release the caliper and push it back into place. Reinstall and tighten the pin.

You can probably do both sides in an hour.

I also used the pads from Autozone. They didn't last quite as long as the OEM pads; however, they seem to work just as well, and they are quiet.

An interesting observation about the ES - my rear pads wore out before the front pads. I have never had another car that did this. The original rear pads lasted about 60,000 miles. The front pads lasted about 80,000 miles.

An interesting observation about the ES - my rear pads wore out before the front pads.  I have never had another car that did this.  The original rear pads lasted about 60,000 miles.  The front pads lasted about 80,000 miles.

heh that sounds easy..unfortunately i have no idea what the hell shims are...i have never used them. my contour had the shims and everything all in one pice, you stick the pad in the caliper and put the spring back on and your good. LOL. i gues thats the difference between a car that was $25000 new and a car that was $12,000 new.

and the pads that are ont his car are the originals (the rear anyway) at 140,000 miles... ;)

ill pull the wheel off on tuesday and if i have any more questions, they will be posted here LOL.

Shims are thin pieces of metal that clip onto the pads. I assume their purpose is to make the brake operation quieter.

As I recall, the pads I got from Autozone did not come with new shims. You will need to reuse the ones that should be on your old pads.

I can't believe a car got 140,000 miles on a set of brake pads. Amazing.

Shims are thin pieces of metal that clip onto the pads.  I assume their purpose is to make the brake operation quieter.

As I recall, the pads I got from Autozone did not come with new shims.  You will need to reuse the ones that should be on your old pads.

I can't believe a car got 140,000 miles on a set of brake pads.  Amazing.

my dad thinksi shouldnt have to change them for a quarter million miles since they are on the rear...

...yeah...right...

:huh: