Steering Vibration At Low/no Speeds...

90LS400Lexus

I posted before about my car having a steering wheel vibration when turning at low speeds and thought it was my "cupped" tires, but I have found out that it also does it when the car is stopped. Any suggestions? No power steering leaks anywhere (yet). Thanks.

Did you happen to notice the rpms while you are getting the vibration? I've noticed a slight problem when I park or turn the wheels at a stop because my car idles really low arround 550-600rpms. My car feels like it has stiffness in the steering wheel movement-kinda like the p/s pump is out. Can you describe your vibration further? Does it feel like a hand message/pusling, stiff feeling/hard to turn, etc? To test my theory, I reved the engine to 700-800rpm, and the problem was gone. It's a really long shot...just a thought! ;)

I see you've found a replacement car...have any pictures?

:cheers:

Did you happen to notice the rpms while you are getting the vibration? I've noticed a slight problem when I park or turn the wheels at a stop because my car idles really low arround 550-600rpms. My car feels like it has stiffness in the steering wheel movement-kinda like the p/s pump is out. Can you describe your vibration further? Does it feel like a hand message/pusling, stiff feeling/hard to turn, etc? To test my theory, I reved the engine to 700-800rpm, and the problem was gone. It's a really long shot...just a thought! ;)

I see you've found a replacement car...have any pictures?

:cheers:

Thanks Blake. It happens at idle, or close to it- at around 600 rpms. I tried it today at a traffic light. I idled the engine up a bit and it stopped. It feels like the pulsing you mentioned that stopped at about 800 rpms. It was not doing it before, so I am wondering what caused it now. It is not difficult to turn though.

Yeah Blake, I bought a 1969 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr hardtop (no "B" pillar) sedan, with a factory 396 V8 (same engine as the Chevelle SS 396). I will probably be restoring it. I bought it locally on E-Bay. The seller said if I was not satisfied with it, he will refund my money, but I am trying to sort out a noise in the engine now that will determine if I will keep it or not. It is even more rare in the fact that it not only has the 396 option, but also has hide-away headlights w/washers, power windows, power locks, tilt, am-fm, vinyl top, etc. This may not seem like much on todays cars, but these items were options even on the top of the line Chevrolet for 1969. Back then, basically only Cadillac and Lincoln had these as standard features (power equipment). It is green (typical 60s-70s car color), but it needs new paint, seat cover and carpeting, as it is worn after 35 years of use.

I will get photos soon.