Just Thought You'd Want To Know...

TexasLexus94

From Money magazine:

Lexus

Let's take, for example, the Lexus LS 430. The second letter in any Lexus car's name indicates the body style. An S is a sedan, an X is a sport/utility vehicle and a C is a convertible. The 3-digit number is based on the engine size in liters. So the LS 430 has a 4.3 liter engine, and a GS 300 has a 3.0 liter engine.

The first letter in a Lexus name indicates the relative size and cost of the car. The higher in the alphabet the letter is, the higher the price. For some reason -- a Toyota spokesman wasn't sure why -- the R SUVs are an exception to this particular rule. They are actually the least expensive Lexus SUVs.

Actually its quite simple:

S does indeed stand for sedan, and C for coupe, and X for SUV.

But where he's a little mistaken is what the first letter stands for.

L Stands for Luxury -LS=Luxury Sedan

G stands for Grand -GS=Grand Sedan

E stands for Executive -ES=Executive Sedan

I stands for International -IS=International Sedan

S stands for Sport - SC=Sport Coupe

As for the SUVs its R for Recreational, L for Luxury and I assume G for Grand to match the GS.

This is what I was told a couple years ago from a Lexus spokesperson. If you think about it it makes more sense than what this guy said about the letter being higher in the alphabet, I is higher than everything but L and the IS is the cheapest sedan.