Buying Trade-ins From Dealer?

TMaxxTim

I e-mailed out Lexus dealer and asked about trade-in purchases and they said if the car is in good condition and hasn't been in an accident they will keep it. However the only car below a 98 on their lot is a 92 ES 300. Carfax.com shows cars the dealership may have (ones they have run a carfax on I guess), and I've seen several LS's and SC's (older) on the lots with no license plates (obvious trade-ins). Maybe I need to just go in there and talk with them, but I'm having a hard time finding any good condition Lexus's around Nashville so I was hoping I could snatch up a trade-in from a dealership. Do they just not really want to sell you their trade-ins at all?

I'm not expecting it to be cleaned inside and out and things fixed like the 92 ES300 had (it had new floormats, brakes replaced, tires replaced, etc.), but I'd think they'd be glad to sell me the car for whatever they could wholesale it for and they could probably make a little bit more, is it just too much hassle for them?

• 5 months later...
I e-mailed out Lexus dealer and asked about trade-in purchases and they said if the car is in good condition and hasn't been in an accident they will keep it.  However the only car below a 98 on their lot is a 92 ES 300.  Carfax.com shows cars the dealership may have (ones they have run a carfax on I guess), and I've seen several LS's and SC's (older) on the lots with no license plates (obvious trade-ins).  Maybe I need to just go in there and talk with them, but I'm having a hard time finding any good condition Lexus's around Nashville so I was hoping I could snatch up a trade-in from a dealership.  Do they just not really want to sell you their trade-ins at all? 

I'm not expecting it to be cleaned inside and out and things fixed like the 92 ES300 had (it had new floormats, brakes replaced, tires replaced, etc.), but I'd think they'd be glad to sell me the car for whatever they could wholesale it for and they could probably make a little bit more, is it just too much hassle for them?

Hi,

Why don't you try and look into something like leasetrader.com...You may find a Lexus that could be had for about 6 to 12 months on the lease and then buy it out after you transfer it to you. I don't know about the financials, but, a 2000 and up can have a extended policy written on it for about $2350. for 7 yrs.(from the original date of purchase and up to 100,000miles, bumper to bumper Just like factory. I also understand that a 3/36,000mi. can be written at a 50% copay. Most dealers (not Luxus) buy auction cars that arn't CPO's and put a little something into them and put them in the paper or on ebay (a new favorite), so the lease thing might be a better fit....

Good luck,

Bruce