Bad Clack

ihurley

I have a clack!!

I just replaced my head gaskets (92 ES300) after a small blow in the middle of the desert casued by a faulty temperature gauge sending unit and bad heater hose. Oh well! After tearing the whole thing down to the block, valve job (by very reputable machinist), valve adjustment (once on the bench while heads were still off by dealer, and once after instalation and letting the valves get settled, again by dealer) there is a wierd clickity clack that I can't figure out.

I had forgotten to retension the sissor gear on the exhaust cams and went back and did that right before the secon valve adjustment, (checked the dealers first attempt and told the *BLEEP*s to do it again) Now it is all back together and the clack is still there.

THE CLACK!

The noise starts soon after pulling on the throttle. It is very similar to valve clatter, but is much more isolated and individual. It continues to clack as you accelerate.

Now where it freaks me out is on the deceleration right before idle when it makes a distinct clunk clunk and quites down. I have tried to track it down with a stethescope (sp?) and can pick up the sound off the right side of the head in the front (standing in front of the car) and into the exhaust manifold. When Listening by ear it seems to come from the top end reverberating through the intake manifold like a trupet but there is nothing with a mechanics stethiscope.

Any one have any ideas as to the possible causes or can help point me into a direction.

What does a rod sound like when it goes? Wrist pin? Nut in the manifolds (please no)? ERG? Timing belt idler puller? What the heck could it be?

HELP ME I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!

I broke down a trip to Boise Idaho from Los Angeles to visit family and I have been here 1.5 months waiting on parts and slow but good machine shop. I need to get home and don't want to go without my car, but don't trust driving it untill this noise is understood.

FYI

new timing belt, all new hoses and belts, new suspension and rotors, tranny filter and flush.

Also, how bad is it to use green coolant? And does anyone know how to get the gauges to stop flickering?

Someone at least leave a comment saying that they have no idea so that I know I am not alone.

If I don't hear from anyone soon, I am going to take it to the very incompetant dealer (remembre I am in idaho) and see what they say.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress as I bellieve this will be a very rewarding learing experience once it is all over and I can sleep again.

I'm just answering your post to show you that you're not forgotten. :blushing:

The only advice I can give you is to take the car to a Lexus or Toyota dealer and ask them to listen to this noise. They would be more familiar with strange sounds from their engines. Good luck.