What All Is Involved In Replacing Evaporator 90-94

90LS400Lexus

Does anyone know what all has to be removed when replacing the A/C evaporator on the 1990-1994 LS400's? Lexus said the one on my car is bad, which is why the A/C does not work at this time. If it is too difficult to replace, or will cost around $800 - which is what the dealer quoted- I will probably sell the car. It really needs too many items (to be perfect) at this time for me to keep it. Nothing that really needs fixed now- or probably not for a long time, but I am picky about small problems. The items I am referring to, may not bother most people- such as clunking front suspension (bushings?) and front struts, as the ride is not as soft as I would like. Also, the A/C as mentioned and for some reason- it keeps getting strange scratches on areas that are never touched - perhaps the cats are doing it? I have found recent scratches on the trunk lid, as well as other spots on the car and the pin strips are starting to peel off in places. In addition- the tires are "cupped" due to the shop not re-aligning after new rear struts. I am trying to wear out the tires that are on it, then get new ones and get the new alignment. All minor things, but like I said- I am picky (should buy a new car huh? LOL - I would still find something wrong- lol) My cousin in a Hyundai salesman and he has been trying to get me to buy a new Hyundai. 100K mile warranty sounds nice, as well as the statments that these are now as good as Honda and Toyota but I am still not wild about the styling.

On to my next question:

I have recently been considering selling this car (despite how much I like it- the good points that is) and not sure what I should ask for it. KBB trade in value is a lousy $2300- which is totally unacceptable, considering I paid $4000 + tax ($200) and new rear struts ($200) for it, only about 6000 miles ago. KBB private party in good condition is $3800- which is more like it, but I doubt I can get this for it. I think the Edmunds private party value is a lousy $2800. The mileage (231K) is what is really deducting the value- but these are are designed to go well over 250K right? I feel that the engine and transmission in my car would easily go another 100K or even 200K before needing any major work. The engine is still smooth as silk and the transmission is still extremely smooth. I would like to get $4000 for it, which is less than I have invested in it, but I doubt I can get that for it, with the suspension clunking. I could probably sell it comfortably (without feeling like I was ripped off) for $3500-$3600, but I do not think I could bring myself to sell it for lower than $3500. I sold my old 93 Camry LE V6, with 212K for $2500 last summer, so is $3500 a good asking price for a 231K 90' LS400 in GC? I personally think it is a good price for a Lexus. No rust- few dings, excellent running conditions, excellent interior. Not sure about checking local prices on these, because this is the first one I have seen for sale in the past 2 years, other than another 90 LS400, with 169K priced at $8000. :blink: I still may end up keeping the car and buying another car. Either way- I have been thinking of a smaller, lower mile Lexus- such as a 92-95 ES300, or even another Toyota Camry. Also been pondering the purchase of a 91-95 Land Cruiser or 92-97 Chevrolet Suburban. Mostly have been searching for a 81-85 Mercedes diesel for a work car.

If I can get my A/C repaired cheap and have new front bushings, struts and springs installed at a good rate- I will probably keep it, but hesitant about paying $800 for A/C repairs and $500+ for new struts, bushings and springs.

Thanks for any suggestions

The suspension may cost $700 to fix, add in the A/C problems, need tires......

It would be hard for me pay $3500 - but it's just not your car - it's anybody's car. Especially a Lexus. Heck, my 99 LS depreciates $3500 a year just sitting in the garage. It's just the facts of life, I suppose......... :(

The suspension may cost $700 to fix, add in the A/C problems, need tires......

It would be hard for me pay $3500 - but it's just not your car - it's anybody's car. Especially a Lexus. Heck, my 99 LS depreciates $3500 a year just sitting in the garage. It's just the facts of life, I suppose......... :(

True.. That is what I am thinking.

If I wanted to keep a LS400- I would probably be better off buying a later model with lower miles. If the A/C is going to cost an arm and a leg, I will probably sell it and do just that. I have found a nice 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser that I would like to have.... would be nice if I could trade the LS for it. :) I have also found a 95' ES300 with 110K for $5900. Seems like a fair deal.

True.. That is what I am thinking.

If I wanted to keep a LS400- I would probably be better off buying a later model with lower miles. If the A/C is going to cost an arm and a leg, I will probably sell it and do just that. I have found a nice 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser that I would like to have.... would be nice if I could trade the LS for it. :) I have also found a 95' ES300 with 110K for $5900. Seems like a fair deal.

I agree....

It's one of those things where your car just isn't worth much to others because of its age and miles. The LS runs like a champ, and will continue to do so, but with 10+ years on it and 230K miles - it's a liabilty to most people.

I feel like I can fix a lot of things, but the AC is NOT one of them. Like you, I'd weigh the $1000 worth of repairs ahead of me vs. value of car.

The older Gen I's are a sweet deal for really good DIY"ers - because they can fix them for cheap ; then they have the legendary ride for next to nothing!!

True..  That is what I am thinking. 

If I wanted to keep a LS400- I would probably be better off buying a later model with lower miles.  If the A/C is going to cost an arm and a leg, I will probably sell it and do just that.  I have found a nice 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser that I would like to have.... would be nice if I could trade the LS for it.   :)   I have also found a 95' ES300 with 110K for $5900.  Seems like a fair deal.

I agree....

It's one of those things where your car just isn't worth much to others because of its age and miles. The LS runs like a champ, and will continue to do so, but with 10+ years on it and 230K miles - it's a liabilty to most people.

I feel like I can fix a lot of things, but the AC is NOT one of them. Like you, I'd weigh the $1000 worth of repairs ahead of me vs. value of car.

The older Gen I's are a sweet deal for really good DIY"ers - because they can fix them for cheap ; then they have the legendary ride for next to nothing!!

You are right. I was talking to my father about it a little while ago and his opinion was for me to sell the car- even if I sold it for $3000. :( I have only put about 7000 miles on it and I will be losing about $1500. I guess I could have not ride a taxi cab 7000 miles for $1500 huh? LOL

Just a positive way to look at it. :)

I was considering replacing the car with this lower priced car, until I get a 95+ LS400, but I guess I will pass on this Mercedes and may consider a newer LS400 now.

This car (Mercedes) has 100K actual miles and it like new inside and out. Parts cost high for these too, but it is said to need nothing. I will take it to a Mercedes shop to have it closely checked before I make any final decisions. Also considering that Land Cruiser, as well as a Accord, Camry, Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, as well as a Volvo S80. Only thing about the Mercedes is that my father said I would be asking for the same problems. These are expensive to fix too and it is nearly 20 years old, so I may pass on this one- but still not sure.

Here is the 85 Mercedes 500SEL - extended wheelbase sedan.

$62,000 new in 1985.

Thanks again 99LS for your opinions.

post-4-1091506131.jpg

Here is the 2000 Volvo S80 I am considering. I have never owned a Volvo, but one of my uncles have owned several. My aunt in Richmond will only drive Volvos. She drove her last one (1984 240DL) 442K miles, before she upgraded to a late 80s 740 wagon. Her husband has a 90 Mercedes 300 wagon and their oldest son has a BMW 633i coupe. I think the Volvo has been the most reliable. I have heard that the 80s models are very reliable, but not sure about the 99s, like this one I am considering. Has anyone here ever owned a Volvo S80? If so, was it reliable?

I am also going to check out that 98 LS400 for $15000. It is $2000 more than the 99 Volvo, but it seems like a good deal too. If I am going to spend $10000+, I may as well consider a 95+ LS400 now, instead of waiting.

Here is a photo of the Volvo. It is at the local Mercedes-BMW-Porsche dealership.

post-4-1091507671.jpg