90' And 91' Transmision Fluid

Tote

I have done alot of reading on this sit as far a trans. fluid and I was pretty certain after reading that on a drain and refill it would be 2 qts. I go to the lexus dealer to get some T-lV to change the fluid on both cars. I asked how much on a drain and refill on a 90' and a 91', and his answer to my surprise was 4 qts. each. I asked if he was sure. He stated yes. He also wasn't the mechanic. I did a search on drain and refill and noticed the ones I found were started by owners of 95's and newer. Wanted to verify if this goes for the older models as well, or if they do use 4QTS. on a drain and refill.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks, I thought i would be 2 qts.. Just wanted to play it safe on such an expensive part of the Car. I also should of had some common sense and figured Toyota T-lV would be cheaper at a toyota place. Sad part is the toyota dealer was next door to the lexus dealer, not even a minutes walk. Live and learn. Next up differential fluid.

This site is awesome. :cheers:

Thanks

Tote

I've noticed that on my 91 LS which I bought last year, the former owners were charged by the dealer for about 4 qts. There was a time, I believe that the ATF also came in one gallon containers. So, it seems that they simply charged for more than they actually used :pirate::pirate: .

I changed my ATF on both my 96LS, bought new, and my "new" 91LS, Plus my son-in-laws 95. Always 2 qts.

DIY is definitely the way to go. :cheers:

EB

That's interesting. I'm going to change all the lock on my car (ign., trunk, doors, glove box and trunk switch). Lexus charges $400 for all the locks and a set of keys (no remote). They said to install was 4 hrs @ $90 an hr. which is a little under another $400. Grand total being about $800.00. Im going to do it myself since I know the ign. trunk, glovebox and trunk switch will take about 30 min. Leaving the doors. I can't imagine a lexus mechanic taking 3 1/2 hours to do 2 doors. It took me about 20 min. to remove the door panels to replace the blown speakers. I can see if they said under 2 hrs, maybe they like to charge in 4 hr chunks. Maybe 4 is their magic number.

None the less, I think they take atvantage of the fact that many people wouldn't question what a "Lexus Dealer" tells them. If I wanted to be lied too and over charged I can go to Joe Blows Mechanic Shop down the street. At least I can see it coming.