Rare, But Occuring "more Noticable" Shift- Normal?

90LS400Lexus

The transmission on my 90 LS400 (230K) still shifts very smoothly. 99% of the time, you can barely feel the shifts- even under moderate acceleration upgrades. There has been a couple of times however over the past year I have owned it that it has a "more noticable" shift from 1-2 and 2-3- under light acceleration. It has done this ever since I have bought and it does not do it anymore than before, nor it is more harsh than before. It is not harsh, but a little more "jerky" than the usual smoothness it usually gives. May be normal and I may just be picky and spoiled by the otherwise extremely smooth shifts, but I am wondering if it is cause for concern. My transmission was serviced by the dealer about 3000 miles ago. Thanks.

90, my '95 does this too. I'm at almost 232k miles. Like you, it's a 2%-3% of the time thing, so the slight jerk is not there often enough to annoy me. I'm sure its( the slight jerk) due to the age and mileage. Hey...we have over 230k miles on the origional trannys with excellent shifts 97%+ of the time....let this one slide!! B)

:cheers:

90, my '95 does this too. I'm at almost 232k miles. Like you, it's a 2%-3% of the time thing, so the slight jerk is not there often enough to annoy me. I'm sure its( the slight jerk) due to the age and mileage. Hey...we have over 230k miles on the origional trannys with excellent shifts 97%+ of the time....let this one slide!! B)

:cheers:

True. I just hope it is something that does not get worse. I have put about 7000 miles on this car since I have had it and it has not got any worse. Another good thing is it does not slip either and as mentioned- 99%+ of the times it shifts flawlessly/smoothly. Not many cars will go over 200K on the original transmission. I had a 95' Chrysler Concorde with 92K before I bought my LS400. The transmission went out at 88K miles on the original owner. I had it rebuilt for $800 and it never seemed right to me. 100K is about the life of a Chrysler FWD transmission. :rolleyes: - at least on the 80s and 90s FWD models.