Need Advice on 92 SC400

Farzad_1

Hello,

We looked at a 92 SC400 with around 200k miles yesterday.

The body was in great shape and the interior was good too. All windows were ortiginal with Toyota markings, indicating they have either not been replaced due to a collision or they went out of their way to get expensive original glass.

Below is the list of issues that we found:

The carpet in the trunk was moist, and when I lifted it I could see water collected on the other side of it which was rubber. No sign of water where the spare tire is stored.

The passenger side headlight had condensation in it and on the inside under the hood in that vicinity there was a puddle of water near that headlight.

The ignition switch wouldn't turn the engine at first although we could hear bell sounds while the key was turned to accessories, indicating the battery was fine and well connected. It eventually decided to start.

The mirror control button did not work and the window up/down switch didn't work in automatic - we had to hold the switch until the window was where we wanted it.

The power steering squeaks and needs to be repaired.

While we were driving we tried downshifting, which worked all the way except at the lowest gear when the power paused for a good second before it engaged the transmission with a frightening kick. Up shifting worked okay.

The seller who is the second owner has no idea if the timing belt has ever been replaced; they know that they have not replaced it.

The car is listed at $3000.

Is this a pass or a buy at $1,500?

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

This is the LS400 forum, not SC forum.

LS400's have a problem with their trunk seals and leak water, I know nothing about the SC's.

Headlight condensation same on LS400's, and can be fixed.

Ignition switch ? could be worn some or slight contact corrosion from extended sitting and moisture.

I think 3K is way too much for the problems it has. 1500 is better, but its really up to you and if you can do some of the work, its an old car and will have problems as you have discovered.  I like the looks of the SC's, and would only go for a 400 since it does have the 1uzfe engine V8.

• Like 1