I have a 92 ES300 that ran well before I changed the water pump and timing belt. Now , when cold, the timing acts retarded and will NOT exceed 25 mph. After she warms to temp, she runs out no problem. The miles and previous owner is unknown but believe she ha less than 200,000 miles. I have torn it down again and the Cam Timing Marks are as specified by the manual. Anyone have any ideas? How does the timing advance/!Removed!?

I am wondering if you didn't leave a sensor unhooked when you put her back together. Sounds like once the control "loop" closes (ie: the engine warms up) things are fine. The computer may be missing an input which causes it to throttle back (!Removed! as you put it) the engine when cold.

Help I have a 1994 lexus es 300 I bought it not running. I found out it was overheated one of the 3 studs were broke off. Anyhow i got it running it steamed out the exhaust but fired on all cylinders. I bought heads off ebay had them pressure tested and surfaced. When i took it apart I mixed up the valve shims. I micrometered them and the 26 to 28 go in the intake and the 30 plus go for the exhaust valves. I put new spark plugs in and timed it but it wont start but it is close. could anyone help I am exhausted and tried all i can. :blink: oops forgot to say knock sensors were off ebay too old ones melted

Ray, take a deep breath and get a good nights sleep. You covered a lot of territory in your post and it sounds like you have been through a lot. So back up and VERY carefully check the cam alignment of the gears in each head AND the alignment of the timing belt. Also recheck for any connectors that might not have been plugged back together. But first, leave it alone for a bit. Things always work out better when you get some rest and come at it with a fresh approach.

And...welcome to the club!! :cheers:

Thanks landar, it turned out to be some crap (dirt/slime?) in the temp sender wiring. She never threw any codes, but we pulled wires one by one and cleaned all terminals. We got to the temp sensor and after cleaning, the problem went away.