I Can't Find My Relay!

TheWiz

It's not where it's supposed to be. I need to find the A/C relay in my car. And hopefully that is the problem.

Background:

I bought a 2004 LS430 Ultra Luxury in December, from Idaho. When I got it back to California I discovered the A/C doesn't work. The previous owner said it worked the last time they tried it. The compressor won't come on. The freon level was ok, but I only had a low side gauge.

I took it to a shop. They said the freon was low and inserted the correct amount, but the compressor wouldn't come on. They then pulled codes and found code 21 (solar sensor). They also noted the condensor looked corroded. They want to replace the solar sensor (for $300) and then re-test the system. I found that code 21 is "normal" and asked them about it. They said they checked the car both in the sun and shade, and the sensor should read like 4 (volts?) but was only putting out 1. So, they are insistent on changing the solar sensor.

I found out about the compressor relay, and decided to check it myself, but . . . I can't find it! I understand it's the Magnetic clutch relay, located in the engine compartment fuse box, drivers side. However, that fuse location has no contacts, and has never been used. I see no other relay it could be.

I went to the Lexus dealer and they show a diagram of the Clutch relay location (the same location I had checked), but when they input my VIN, the relay disappears. There's no relay for my car? Do you think this may be related to the UL package? This was a very well kept, formerly Lexus certified vehicle, bought from good old honest American folks, so I don't think they're lying. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted you all to have all the facts. I'm stuck between my shop and the DEALER, with summer just about here. What should I do now?