Rough Idle,weak (Very) Acceleration

celtichammer1

Hi guys another problem.1994 Ls400: Car was ideling rough and lost almost all ability to accelerate from a stop when my wife was driving it the other day. She parked it and i went to check on it later and found that it would not move over even the slightest incline from a stop but if i put it in low 1 it would take off ok and then i just shifted from there to get it home. After looking at the site i decided to clean and lube the iacv and in the process found a couple of dinged spark plug wires (which the parts house warrantied-woohoo). After cleaning and testing the iacv and replacing all wires the car started and idled smoother and sounded better than it has in months. I took it for a test run and it was perfect... for about a quarter mile, then it started the no acceleration business again unless i shifted manually. It acts like its in high gear but also it wont kick down when i accelerate hard while up around 50-60mph. Recently replaced front cat(rt. side) was glowing red and car was weak until i replaced it then it ran fine(and its not glowing now). Thanks for any thoughts.

Update: One thing i left out was that i used carb cleaner and wd-40 on the iacv,carb cleaner on the air intake and a bottle of RXP (carbon remover)to the gas tank. Got frustrated after my post and took the car out and drove the %#@$ out of it for about forty miles. After about ten or fifteen miles the engine light went out and it felt smoother and it also shifted to passing gear when i hammered it(which i did often and repeatedly). First stop sign i encountered it ideled at a smooth 600rpm. Most of this run was at speeds in excess of 80mph and i tried to keep the rpm's at or above 3500. When i returned home and put it in park it maintained its smooth idle at 600. Soooo...hopefully i blew out some carbon garbage that i had broken loose during cleaning and this will be a lasting fix.

Aha! What we used to call the "Italian Tune-up" about forty years ago. It's possible that a couple of spark plugs had some fouling, and full throttle also helps to clean the injectors ( gasoline is a great solvent of course, and at high flow rates does wonders) and heat up the cats and get them clean too.

I hope it stays fixed!